Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of my adult life I worked as an electrical contractor. I have wired all sorts of buildings. Among them were a few daycares. I had the idea that my wife could run one. At the first opportunity we purchased a building at a bargain price in the middle of Jamesburg NJ.

We took it apart to bare walls and modernized it turning it into a Day care center.
A lot of love and effort went into that building.

Letizia operated it for a few years. After graduation my daughter took over.
She got married and has three kids . The older ones went to our own daycare.
Then she decided to be a stay at home mom and our son Andrew stepped up as the new director,

The school was at all times just marginally profitable but I didnt mind, just collected my rent and was happy that we had this family business.

The time got tougher since last year when Phill Murphy stepped in our little Jamesburg and donated a chunk of state funds to a town's pre K.
The effect on us was almost immediate. The enrollment in our school has dropped close to the red line.
People would take free over pay for it, anytime.
What they don't realize is that nothing is free. We are paying almost 13K in property taxes for our building. All homes and businesses in NJ are paying probably the highest property tax in the US. It is not sustainable. Many people ,like me, cash in their assets and move out of state.
So after 19 years in business we listed the building for sale. There is a future for my son here in FL as a builder. Myself and my wife will just ride into the sunset crossing mountains and valleys.

Nothing is free. You will pay for it one way or the other.Remember that when some politician promises you free stuff.

https://www.monroenow.com/community/jamesburg/jamesburg-preschool-program-gets-visit-from-murphy/article_d5cfc03e-44b4-11e8-9d95-5b496be5c1e5.html

·
Administrator
24,390 Posts
People who live entirely off the backs of tax payers would argue with that.

·
Administrator
57,477 Posts
People who live entirely off the backs of tax payers would argue with that.

we have a whole generation of families now, that have never worked a day in their lives. mom got monthly payments for each kid, so it was easier to pop out another kid than to go get a job....

so, the kids have only known the welfare system and have no incentive to get jobs period..... getting them to accept that they should be part of "working American" is a near impossible task...

I fear for our 200 year old country, I see it sliding down a horrible smelly trough.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
My ex daughter in laws family was that way. The whole clan never worked but were the biggest complainers of what the Goverment owed them!!!
Your only about 20 minutes from me. I can't wait to ride in to the sunset but have a few more years to go.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
My neighbor told me he worked a day in his life. Said he didn't like it and the incentives were all wrong.

·
(Rick Sheeley GWRRA)
659 Posts
Lazy workers or lazy citizen?

Peter,

I am really sorry to see any business go under, especially one like yours. But i think this is more symptomatic of a Government with warped priorities, one more interested in Stadiums and sports teams, than it's children and single mothers..

As for the rest you old guys, give me a break! Welfare mothers? Really? Have you actually looked at the REAL studies behind those "reports"? And really guys (and I do mean guys here) are bombs and planes more important than feeding children and educating them?

You talk as if people never fudged off society before 1940.... humans have always done this, since the days of the caves and the grassy plain....

Why not use that sharp with to help struggling mothers and poor children instead making them into boogymen for your petty prejudices......

Ok, off my soapbox...

Peter, something new will come along, always does, especially with your skills..... I wish you the best and keep on riding!

Let crossfire begin... LOL!

·
Administrator
24,390 Posts
are bombs and planes more important than feeding children and educating them?
!
The former IS the government's job, the latter is NOT.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Peter,

I am really sorry to see any business go under, especially one like yours. But i think this is more symptomatic of a Government with warped priorities, one more interested in Stadiums and sports teams, than it's children and single mothers..

As for the rest you old guys, give me a break! Welfare mothers? Really? Have you actually looked at the REAL studies behind those "reports"? And really guys (and I do mean guys here) are bombs and planes more important than feeding children and educating them?

You talk as if people never fudged off society before 1940.... humans have always done this, since the days of the caves and the grassy plain....

Why not use that sharp with to help struggling mothers and poor children instead making them into boogymen for your petty prejudices......

Ok, off my soapbox...

Peter, something new will come along, always does, especially with your skills..... I wish you the best and keep on riding!

Very sweet of you defending those mothers. Nobody is against feeding the children. The problem is when it becomes a way of life.
I have just sold a house in Trenton NJ, I owned it for over 25 years

The woman that lives in there for the past 20 some years has a drinking problem. Not much but I smelled buzz on her breath too early during the day. Her husband/ boy friend was/is in jail for murder or something like that.
He's been there since I know her.

Social services paid 80% of her rent since ever.She had a daughter with someone while she rented my house.
The little girl became 16-17 years old when I noticed a guy around the house. She got pregnant, had a baby and the baby daddy was not in sight any longer. She continued to live with her mother and had social services pay a teacher to tutor her at home.
She has been collecting a welfare check.
Two years later she got pregnant again and there is no man in sight.

It is a perpetual thing the old guys here are talking about.
A lot of people need help now and then, it just shouldn't be a way of life.

As for myself I think I have achieved financial security long time ago and have no concerns . The people we employ will find a job and the life goes on.

Thanks again for your point of view

·
Premium Member
3,615 Posts
Peter,

Ok, off my soapbox...

Jerry Brown, former governor of California. "The conventional viewpoint says we need a jobs program and we need to cut welfare. Just the opposite! We need more welfare and fewer jobs." :nerd::?:? Say what???

·
Administrator
24,390 Posts
Jerry Brown, former governor of California. "The conventional viewpoint says we need a jobs program and we need to cut welfare. Just the opposite! We need more welfare and fewer jobs." :nerd::?:? Say what???
That buys a lot of votes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts