Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I replaced my stator last week and got my bike running yesterday. I took it on a test ride and saw that my volts were reading just above 10, however the bike never stuttered to start. On the way back, the meter slowly dropped until the lights dimmed and on the last half mile home it ran like crap. The volts were reading lower then my gauge could read.

I'm no electrician, but I found a few articles on how to test the continuity of the stator by testing the resistance between the wires in the plug. I got a reading of a steady 9 ohms between all three wires going to the stator. However, on the other side of the plug I got a reading of no resistance on the wire that is perpendicular to the other wires. Does this indicate a bad rectifier? I'd like to do the engine-running test now, but the battery must charge up overnight before I can start it.

I'd like to thank everyone on this board for the great wealth of technical information. Without the technical articles you've posted motorcycle newbies like me would be lost. Many thanks :claps:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Not sure exactly what you mean, but then I have a 1200. Might be a difference. There should be three yellow wires coming from the stator. You should get resistance between any 2 of those wires, but I don't know the exact number. You should NOT get any resistance between any of the three yellow wires and ground. If that checks out, the stator is most likely good. Unfortunately I don't know anything about the plugs and connectors, mine were all melted and burned when I got the bike, and I cut them out, separated all the wires, and soldered everything together. Your regulator will be different from mine, so I don't know what the test is for that. You should have close to 14 volts across the battery terminals at about 3000 rpm. Also check your regulator for burned connectors, and see how hot it gets while the engine is running.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
Not sure exactly what you mean, but then I have a 1200. Might be a difference. There should be three yellow wires coming from the stator. You should get resistance between any 2 of those wires, but I don't know the exact number. You should NOT get any resistance between any of the three yellow wires and ground.
You have that or are saying that backwards Jerry, it should be close to zero resistance between the wires and and infinite resistance to ground.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

By that rule then the stator is more then likely good. Does this point to a faulty rectifier? Or maybe a short or cut wire in the wiring?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
JerryH wrote:
Not sure exactly what you mean, but then I have a 1200. Might be a difference. There should be three yellow wires coming from the stator. You should get resistance between any 2 of those wires, but I don't know the exact number. You should NOT get any resistance between any of the three yellow wires and ground.
You have that or are saying that backwards Jerry, it should be close to zero resistance between the wires and and infinite resistance to ground.
Correct, it's been a looong day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.