Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:stumped:Between the 2 frontwheelbearing a loose pipe has been fitted, in the Clymar Honda book it is called the distance collar.The collar must be moved sidewards so you can place a drift on the inner race of the lower bearing.
Problem is: the distance collar can be moved sidewards for only about 0,5 mm so the drift has no good "grip" on the inner race and every time the hammer hits the drift it slides off. Is there a trick for this, or an other method to get them out?
Looking forward to some reaction.
Hans Rijn, Goes. Holland

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

The distance tube is always a loose fit. Just get a narrow cold chisel and grind it good and sharp and it will catch enough of the bearing top loosen it. the 0.5mm is plenty to get a grip on with a sharp chisel if you pull the outer part of the chisel sideways against the other bearing, a few good taps with a hammer will get the bearing moving. That's the way it's done, don't be afraid to get rough with it.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

You can also get a drift and place it right in th ecentre of the top bearing and hammer it good. This will pop the centre of the other bearing out (the distance piece will push it out). Its not the ideal way of doing it and of course the two bearings will be ruined so you will need new ones.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

I have the same problem and i found a 3-jaw pilot bearing puller from the tools catalog from www.harborfreight.comitem # 04876-4AEA it's about $20.00 and it did the work just fine and without any damage to the weel rim

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
You can also get a drift and place it right in th ecentre of the top bearing and hammer it good. This will pop the centre of the other bearing out (the distance piece will push it out).
I have done it exactly like this in the past and it always worked fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.