Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i have a 82 wing im changing the right side head gaskit i have all 6 bolts out and the small one thats on the bottom its all ready to come off but it ant comin off. im hitin from the top bottom sids and its on there good........................

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

I used a big Straight screwdriver and tapped it between the front flange behind the the timing cover area,where the backside cover meets the engine. slowly prying and rocking the head back and forth.The guide dowels get rusty and stubern to come out.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

got the cam belt off ? if so try a shot of pb blaster along the gasket and let it wrok for a few hours. then try tapping with a dead blow type mallet. it should break free.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

stick a broom stck in one of the intake hole and push down and it will pop loose

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

The dowel pins keep it from moving up, down or sideways, so hammering on it any of those directions is probably not helping. You need to tap it out, away from the block. It probably won't take a lot to get it to get started outward.

John

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've broken a couple loose with a putty knife. Sharpen it like a chisel and and tap it into the mating joint between the case and head on the corners on the outside edges of the bolt holes. Start on the upper left and lower right part of the joint between the head and case. Being on the outside of the bolt holes will keep any slight damage to the mating edges from causing any leaks since there's no coolant, oil or such outboard of the bolts. A chunk of 2X4 held against the head and smacked with a heavy hammer can also help with breaking the head loose. As Jluvs2dive mentioned it's the locating dowels that keep the head from coming off. By tapping a putty knife in the corners where the dowels (actually small steel tubes) are located will help to get the joint opened. Once the joint opens a little carefully work the putty knife around the perimeter, being careful not to mar the mating surfaces.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Mymethod is go use a 2x2 about 2 feet long.. go to the opposite side and you can get on a front bottom part of the head..a few whacks and it breaks loose.. but you will still have to wiggle to get it to come

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.