Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having final inspections on the new house Im building,
The inspector told me that I need an antitheft lock on the A/C compressor charging port.
He went to clarify that there are "stupids" that will steal the freon out of your AC system to snore it.
Now why should they pass such a rule?
Someone could steal the whole compressor or " stupid" could find other ways to harm himself.
Many years ago I heard about teenagers snoring gas from under the crust of cow manure to get high. Should they have had come out with a padlock on cows butt?
You cant protect stupid.

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,258 Posts
that would be so rare, that I would totally ignore such a suggestion.

that stuff is under high pressure, no one is going to be snorting it.

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think is up for debate John and I dont care the AC guy will put one in there at no extra cost, After reading you comment I searched a bit and found this

·
Administrator
59,258 Posts
apparently it a lot more frequent than I would have thought, and as it is now a law, and free with the install of new a/c units, why not?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here in the midwest, stupid thieves like to drill holes in ammonia tanks. To get liquid ammonia, if that wasnt dangerous enough, they then use it to make Meth. Several cases where fingers have been frozen, like the banana in liquid nitrogen.

·
Administrator
25,737 Posts
Snorting refrigerant? All the cool kids are doing it.
It causes oxygen deprivation, refrigerant is heavier than air. I guess that would make you think you were high. What's to keep them from buying a can of freon?

·
Premium Member
12,748 Posts
"Buying"? What is this strange word you speak of? :wink2:
This is America . Someone( government) should give this stuff out for free. If I want some , I should be able to have it . If it makes me sick they should get me to a hospital and get me well so I can try it again ;)

I am sure it could be a cause for the many POTUS hopefuls .

ROLF

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What's to keep them from buying a can of freon?
I was very surprised when I bought a box cutting knife at Home Depot. They asked to see my ID to make sure Im at least 18Y/O.
Im sure If they cant buy it at HD they wont be able to get it from their pop's garage or at the flea market or a garage sale. (Sarcasm!)
You just cant protect stupid

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Is that to protect stupid or to protect service companies. Once the lock is installed a "special" key wrench is needed to work on the system. And who has access to the wrench??? Not me, I'm just the one that paid to buy, install and service the unit.:frown2:

·
Administrator
59,258 Posts
its code in oklahoma
how long has it been code?

I don't recall seeing anything like that on my outside unit.
best I can figure, it was installed new about 12-15 years ago to replace the original that came with the house.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts