Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a"new to me" '82 GL 1100. My son-in-law washed her down the other day and now we can't shut the thing off. Have to pull the ground to kill 'er. I have taken the switch off and when I hook the ground up, the power is still there. I KNOW there are some guru's on here that know EXACTLY what is wrong but I sure don't. If it comes on without the key, where is the problem then? The key switch looks okay and I have cleaned all the contacts. Is there a relay that could be shorted somewhere? HELP!!!!

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can't shut it off - '82 GL 1100

I have a"new to me" '82 GL 1100. My son-in-law washed her down the other day and now we can't shut the thing off. Have to pull the ground to kill 'er. I have taken the switch off and when I hook the ground up, the power is still there. I KNOW there are some guru's on here that know EXACTLY what is wrong but I sure don't. If it comes on without the key, where is the problem then? The key switch looks okay and I have cleaned all the contacts. Is there a relay that could be shorted somewhere? HELP!!!!

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
There is definatley water in something. I let ours out in the rain one day, I couldn't get it started. I took some GC Electrical Cleaner spray into the kill switch, started right up after that. May try there. Older wings just don't like water.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
still wet

wd40 would work, but electrical contact cleaner IS better
pull apart the key/connetors
mine was fine but I pulled them anyhow, amazing the amount of corroded crud in the connectors from the back of the key assembly out-

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have taken the key switch apart and totally cleaned it, but if I connect the ground everything comes on with or without the key, makes no difference. I have to think that something is wrong somewhere else and not in the switch.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have totally cleaned the key switch and there is NO water in it. When I hook up the ground it comes on regardless of whether the key is on or not. Don't even have to plug the switch in and it still comes on. Something somewhere else as got to be the problem, but I just don't know where to look next.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The starter is not spinning, but all the lights come on and won't go off until I disconnect the ground. Doesn't matter about the key at all. In fact, I don't even have to plug the key switch back in and just hoop up the ground and the lights come on and I can start it if I want. Just have to unhook ground to shut it off.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can anyone help me combine these two threads, no need to have two of the same, but alas, I'm not sure how to do that. HELP, again.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
In glorious technicolor.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Unplug the ignition switch as it may be faulty
+1
If you unplug the ignition switch, AND the lights stay on, you've got a battery source back feeding into the ignition circuit.
Times like this, you HOPE it's the switch.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is what I've done so far. I took the ignition(key) switch apart. Cleaned contacts and new grease and put back together. Unhooked starter relay and hooked back up. Doesn't matter what I do, the dash lights and the starter will work when I push the button without the key even IN the ignition. You wouldn't need a key to steal this thing right now. You can kill the engine with kill switch but that doesn't turn off the lights. The only way to do that, at present, is to unhook ground from battery. And thanks for moving the thread to make one, whoever did it. So if I have bleed back, what do I do to fix it? Only had this thing a week and I don't need this big headache already, lol.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Boy this stinks.
Since it happened when you washed it, it's either water in a connector, or a component shorted. (I was tops in my class)
You said the only way to kill the power was to disconnect the battery, so it has to be in, on, or around a connector that has BOTH battery power and Ignition power.
I'd suspect the connector for the fuse box.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.