Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
57,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an older laptop that has a picture of the handlebar harness that I am using on my bikes.... this is a very valuable thing to have, and I suggest everyone get one.
With this, it is not necessary to use the Triple Tree, and my Piaggio MP3 Scooter which does not have a Triple Tree to attach to, it is a Lifesaver.

The cups go over the ends of the Handlebars and protect the cables and wiring from getting tangled up and broken. I bought the 36" version so that it will work for the 1800 as well as the scooter. Makes no difference to get the longer one, as the straps just go thru the end cups and dangle down with the loops for the tiedown's hooks to catch into.

https://www.amazon.com/Canyon-Dancer-Bar-Harness-X-Wide-Black/dp/B001ACE5QW/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=canyon+dancer+bar+harness+ii&qid=1577684283&sr=8-8

.Here is a good picture of the Piaggio where you can actually see the Canyon Dancer straps tied into the Heavy Tie Downs that hook to the Eyebolts on the floor.

·
Administrator
24,633 Posts
You do understand that most motorcycle throttles are PLASTIC under the grip, right!!!!!!!
You don't have to pull one down until it screams. I cringe watching people tie down a motorcycle so tight it compresses the suspension all the way.

·
Trike Master
1,225 Posts
Yes, me to. Only compress 2'"s, no more. But, it seems to me even that with the stresses of rough roads here and there would be a lot for a plastic assembly to take.

·
Administrator
57,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it is NOT a problem, guaranteed. it hauled the 1800 to Colorado Springs and back, it has hauled the Piaggio many thousands of miles to Florida, SC and back to Oklahoma....

you guys worry too much, it is NOT a twisting moment, it is a direct compression to the hand grips END TO END.

You can't compress the handlebars together.

A friend showed me the one he has, he uses it on 3 scooters and two Quads going to Colorado and back.

·
Administrator
57,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they are very big, not tight at all. Doubt you will have a problem,
I can go out and measure them, need to unload the scooter anyway.
It has been tied down in the RV since we came back from Midwest Meet 'n Greet last Labor Day. It has its' own little Battery Tender in the Toy Hauler garage.

The RV is always on Public Service power when it is home.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Well, , , if you remember next time you're at the scooter I'd be interested in the I.D. (and others might like to know). Don't make a special trip, its not that important but, I'm leaning toward getting a set and wanted to know if they'd fit. You can see the grips on my signature pic, , , you'll see a slight bulge in the middle that fits nicely in your palm as you grip em.

·
Administrator
57,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay,
woke up the little girl today, and went for a ride to make sure every thing works as it should.

Got a picture of the Hand Grip cup, and it almost twice as big as the grip on the MP3...
it is a lot bigger than the grips on my 1800 also, so no one will have a problem with sizing on these things.

·
Administrator
57,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good idea. Read description in link, sounds well made.
Look at the photo of the grip, that shows you how well the stitching is, and the thickness of the straps are almost twice thicker than even the big heavy straps that I bought from Tractor Supply.... which are what I use now exclusively.

The Rhino branded straps I bought last year? those things are junk, the springs that hold the latch in place jumped out the very first time I used them.

My gl1800 fell over in the corner of the Toy Hauler garage, and I had one hell of a time trying to pick it up off the floor.

No room to get behind it, it was against the wall of the garage....
I had to use the handlebars and wrap the straps around the grip and pull it back up off the floor, took 3 of us to get the job done.

with these straps, that is a thing of the past.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I will stick with straps on the triple tree and frame. The tree and frame are designed to handle the weight of the bike. The handle bars are not. They are designed to turn the bike, not handle the shock of supporting almost 1000 lbs. while trailering.

These straps have been around for years. They came out for dirt bikes with steel handlebars. Your scooter is light enough that it should work fine as you have stated.

Glad they work for you and that they worked on your wing. I just feel better having the bike tied down to something solid and not the long bars on the wing.

·
Administrator
57,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes,
I do NOT use the Canyon Dancers to haul down on the forks super tight.

IMO, that is not what they are for, but they do give a topside "stop it from falling over" backup.

for my little scooter, it is all I need to hold it in place.... works like a champ.
For my 1800, when it rides on the big m/c trailer behind the Suburban? I will continue to use the double loop over the lower triple tree tie downs, and the Canyon Dancer handlebar straps as an assist to keep it stable.

Should work like a charm.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts