Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

does anyone have the instructions for the alt. conversion?

I would like to see them to see if I want to tackle it myself, also my current charging sys is putting out 14V at 1000 rpm but I want to add running lights and a dual band VHF/UHF ham radio.

Did I hear someone state that you could leave the stock charging sys installed in case your alternator ever went out on a road trip?

I am also interested in knowing the size of the alt needed because I have been thinking about the 65 amp from jegs to handle my radio etc.

Thank You

Steve-O (b679995)

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

do a search on poorboy alt conversion, and there is a post from earlier today with links that will point you in the right direction...

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

I want to know what radio and antenna, and I want pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What is your ham call???????

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
imported post

I have done both the alternator conversion and the ham radio install. I used the poor boy kit and a 50 or 55 watt denso alternator and it works great. I just completed my ham radio install using the Air Rider interface located under the left pocket and shielded wires running to my Icom quad band handheld mounted on my right handlebar and a PTT switch on the left handlebar. I have the antenna mounted on the luggage rack. The only problem I have so far is alternator noise coming thru the radio when it is plugged into power via a cigarette lighter plug Ilocated on the right fairing.

I highly recommend Don's poorboy kit. Here is the link I used:

http://home.comcast.net/~rkekeis/Alternator/alternator.htm

It took a little bit, but works great. I can't answer the question of using the stator as a backup. Mine died completely, but I did leave it in the bike.73's

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

I did a poor boy type conversion that I made my own brackets etc for. You leave the original alternator in situ. I disconnected mine at the rectifier block- removing all connections in and out of the rectifier. My old unit would just charge the battery when running without lights, so I figured it a good back up if the fan belt on the new one went- as I only had to snap the connector back together again and remove the new alternator lead. I hope that makes sense. I carried a spare belt too- as I reckon I could fit it in 20 minutes anyway. ---Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.