Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi trike lady no there is no radio at all on the bike and junk yard ones are to much money for what you get so im looking for a way to put a car radio/CD player.
can you help.we,ll find a way.And thank you for the welcomeJeff
Hello and welcome to the forum,
Is the present radio not working? If not there's repair help available.

·
Administrator
21,903 Posts
First, welcome.

No radio? Wow, what's in the space where the radio used to be?

There was a guy who built a rack to hold a single din radio in that hole, and I think he even tied it in to the handlebar switches. It didn't look easy. Try doing a search.

The CD player is a relic these days. Everything is going MP3, SD card, or USB. Usually all three.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome Dennis.there was nothing in the place where the radio use to be.
I did a search and there was a guy that use to make that set up for 95 bucks for a single din radio but I cant find his stuff I found his ebay sit but he hasent been on it for some time.I suppose ill try my hand at wood and fiber glass.Im much better with a wrench in my hand then a saw and fiber glass LOL.I don't know much about MP3 or SD cards or usb I know a little about MP3 but not a lot.Thanks for the feed back Dennis. if you hear any thing Please let me know Take care Dennis.Jeff.

·
Administrator
21,903 Posts
Pretty much any radio today will have the SD, MP3 and USB ports and there's not much to learn. Just load your music on to a thumb drive and plug it into the USB port, the radio will let you control what to play.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
When the crappy little Kenwood stereo on my beast bit the dust, ,I came up with a trick to install a 21st century car radio with Bluetooth (pairs to helmet), Aux-In (playlist from iPhone goes through radio speakers), USB port(accepts thumb-drive MP3 music with almost unlimited hours of listening) AND I can use the USB port to charge the iPhone so the battery never goes dead on long trips. The radio has a remote control so my passenger (mama) can change the channel, volume up & down, and with 18 presets she ALWAYS finds a good channel.
I used a "blank-off" panel that bolts up to the same "mounting holes" as the stereo on other GL1500's, I cut a slot for the face of the radio and mounted the "body" of the radio on a metal plate under the centershelter. IT IS THE PERFECT SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM!!!!

This is what I did and how it turned out,
Radio_phone.jpg

I have blank-off panels available (black only). Some of the guys use a Marine quality radio and it works flawlessly. You have 3 inches of clearance at the front(closest to dash) and 3 1/2 inches at the part where the panel angles downward to match/meet the gas cap door.
The panels are a modification of the original and is reinforced to additional strength to handle the newer radio.

Check out some pics of the Unobtainium 2.1 panel,
Top.JPG

Left.JPG

Label_best.JPG

I've sold many of these world-wide and charge the members here the SAME $$ amount that the "vendor" charges me, , I make $0 profit to members. PM me if interested.
More info at https://www.goldwingfacts.com/threads/83155-mw5-xxx-unobtainium-2-1-stereo-blank-off-panel-for-gl1500s.667013/post-5836373

1 - 8 of 8 Posts