Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HI

I have been thinking about a car tire from the prospective of the deep tread. I have a new Bridgstone on the rear and i'm thinking if that was on my car I would declair it bald and change it right away. And yet they work fine on a bike. I have an inherent fear of rain on the highway. I commute with the bike so I seem to end up in alot of it. Anyhow it seems a car tire has much deeper tread to channelwater awaythen a bike tire, maybe a bike doesn't need that ?? My fear is hydroplaning, I have spun out in a car but not yet on a bike. If anyone has knowledge on this aspect please advise.

Thank You Tom

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

PM Kit Carson who has done all the research.
His idea is most interesting and I'm considering this option for the Spring.
Longboater,

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

I run a Goodyear Ultra Grip 195/55/16 (run flat) tire on my 1800. it is actually a winter tire but has worked very well in the summer too. the other guys that have run this tire report getting around 25 to 35,000 miles out of it. it has never lost traction at any time on any kind of road surface, wet or dry. I do love the quite and very soft ride that it gives at the proper air pressure. I can't imagine this tire ever hydroplaning. that being said I think your main concern should be the front tire letting go, that is why I ALWAYS slow down when it is wet roads. the car tire ,I think, will hang with you but if the front tire losses traction, well your in deep do do. if you do decide to go with a car tire by all means I would buy a Run Flat tire. this tire will support 1200 lbs of load with zero air pressure in it. this is THE main reason I wanted to try a car tire. there are several very good run flat tires to pick from, good luck with your choice.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

This is the one I use. Kumho Ecsta SPT - RUN FLAT Tires - Tire Size & Price Details - 1010tires.com

I will simply say, in very heavy rain, like rain sheeting across the road, standing water and puddles in the road after a heavy rain or in areas where there is no good drainage on the roads, pull over and stop, wait a hour or so for it to calm down . Those conditions on a motorcycle , well no tire is going to help you.

Normal rain, wet roads, hey you are not going to break a CT loose, not even if you are riding very aggressive. How many times have you downshifted into second on wet roads with a MT tire and went fishtailing down the highway. Not with this one, you might kiss the windshield but the tire will hold.

Many people do not believe us, they think we ride on the sidewalls and have a death wish, but we are smarter than they think we are. A CT under wet or dry conditions will hold the road under the normal riding and lean angles obtained by a GL1800 better than any MT made. You can push the bike to the point you wash out the front tire, and the rear will still hold, But do not try it, low-siding is not any fun. Just saying that to say how well it will hold.

Slick roads, gravel, sand, more surface contact on the road, better traction, that just about sums it up.

I can go on a run with Miss Sandy on the back too and not worry about the tire blowing out on me, that was the original reason I started playing with a Run Flat, all the other things are just like sugar on the pie.

I will run very fast on the interstate sometimes, I will sit up, be very observant, and get in tune with the bike and the surrounding traffic, get my eyes to watching the road and the sides of the road and open the throttle and make some time. A decent tire just takes one less thing out of the equation.

Kit

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the replys I guess i'm just thinking out loud about the depth of the tread as opposed to a MC tire. I do understand the front can give out but as of now I don't know of anyway to cange that. Yes I do slow down in the rain but that fear factor is always with me. If the car tire would do better in the rain that would be enough to change it now.

Tom

·
Premium Member
86 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

You know a car tire has a wider contact patch than a bike tire. That wider contact patch is working against you in heavy rain. All other things being equal, a wider tire will hydroplane at a lower speed than a thinner tire. Of course, all things aren't equal. Can the deeper tread of the car tire make up for this? I don't know.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
imported post

JerseyWinger wrote:
You know a car tire has a wider contact patch than a bike tire. That wider contact patch is working against you in heavy rain. All other things being equal, a wider tire will hydroplane at a lower speed than a thinner tire. Of course, all things aren't equal. Can the deeper tread of the car tire make up for this? I don't know.
One must also consider that the CT, depending on the tire sipping and tread design will allow more water to be displaced in the groves and allow more rubber to be in contact with the road surface. Consider the 5 - 6" width of tire and compare to about a 2-3" contact surface of the MT. Also any tire, CT or MT,that does not have enough groove depth will be more suspectable to hydoplaning then a new fresh tire. Always consider slowing down in heavy rains no matter what you are driving. Especially on a motorcycle it is always best to seek shelter until the heavy rains stop as others are less likely to see you and run into you from behind because of the lower profile of the bike.

Just some thoughts to consider.

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,918 Posts
imported post

I have driven in extremely heavy rain on the motorcycle with my Michelin Pilot GTs. It felt like it was on dry pavement. To skip a rock on water you find a flat one. To me that is the profile of the car tire. Flat across where the tire first contacts a puddle. The motorcycle tire with it's round profile just cuts right into the puddle like it's not there.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

While I don't have an 1800, I still have been watching these threads, out of curiosity. My biggest question is, and maybe it's been covered before, but what if you get into an accident, and the the investigation finds you were using a car tire, instead of the intended motorcycle tire provided by the manufacturers recommendation? How does this affect the outcome? How is this any different than the getting into an accident and you're not wearing a seatbelt? In those states where seatbelts are mandatory of course. Is all this worth taking that chance of reduced or maybe even denied compensation? Not to mention the possible law suit by another party involved?

Just asking.......

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I agree with my buddy D-Rod. Narrow tires cut through the wet, flat ones slip and slide.

This is not the whole story though, there are many factors to think about and to consider. I will just hit the high spots, this can get really technical. If you want to know more do a search on the web, simply look for hydroplaning and motorcycle tires. Or Car tires, whichever one you wish and then compare.

The main thing on a motorcycle , before you even get into all this discussion, is common sense. When there are heavy rains on the road , I simply slow down, whether I have a MT tire, CT, or have used a Wheelbarrow tire for a spare. I simply slow down, so to me it is a mute point, only something to discuss and entertain folks at a party, or for a friendly pointless discussion. Yes I simply slow down. In simple research you will find that almost all hydroplaning takes place at speeds in excess of 60 mph. Folks if it is wet, 60 mph is plenty fast for me, I have had enough slip and slide events in the wet to be cautious.

You will also find that motorcycle tire design and tread is not designed to move water out of the way, it in fact channels water to the inside center of the tire, and relies on its narrow working surface, the tire is actually designed to provide maximum braking force.....one works against the other and it is always a compromise.

Now take a look at the tread on this CT. Kumho Ecsta SPT - RUN FLAT Tires - Tire Size & Price Details - 1010tires.com

It is not flat like a rock, you are not going to skip this one across the pond. Sure it is wider, has more contact patch for sure. It also is very well designed and is in fact designed to put narrow parts of the tire in contact with the road and to channel water to the outside of the tread and disperse it.

But I will let you all do your own research on this issue, like I say, to me it is all a mute point, I just slow down in the rain, if there is standing water of puddles I go around it, if it is really bad, I just pull over and wait till it stops.

In normal wet conditions, wet roads, and light rain, both a MT and CT perform well, and I have found that a CT performs best for me. No slip and slide and extreme traction. But I do not push it fast in the rain, so when people start comparing all this stuff or comparing a wing to a road race bike, I just figure it is more entertainment or for party favors.

Besides as you can see I am well equipped, I cannot slip or slide too much. :D

Also I have never ever indicated that the reason I went to a Run flat tire was for extra tread mileage. That is a great benefit, but was not the reason. It was for safety on the road, my wife may come with me to montrose this time, it is a long run and I am always very concerned with her safety. We both accept the risks but do like to take any out of the equation we can. So on normal roads, normal riding and high speed long days on the big slab, this type of tire with some of its disadvantages for sports cars, lends itself to be an advantage for a motorcycle. I do not have a tire monitor system but the tire is all else it is said to be in this article. Plus it has a 1200 pound plus load rating . So for the first time in my life I will be able to relax and open the throttle and let her rip, and not be worried about some defect in some MT tire killing the both of us. Run-flat tire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

D-Rod wrote:
Hi MikeF, Don't know if you saw this thread that Kit Carson started but he talks about all aspects of it including insurance and lawyers.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/56910.html
Well, I went back and read it and saw a whole bunch of grey area. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. While I see the benefit of longer lasting, it's not worth the risk, to me. At least not yet. I do agree, it's things like this that do spur further research and development to make improvements to the existing tires. To each his own.

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,918 Posts
imported post

You know, a lot of people also question pulling a trailer. If Honda finds a hitch on your bike sometimes they wont cover the warrantee because the bike was not made to pull a trailer. So if it was not made to pull one and you get in an accident that leaves it wide open for lawyers I would think.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Lawyers :p:p:p:p:p Where I live they are on the TV daily trying to drum up business, we have a whole sack full of ambulance chasers around here. The main thing to realize it is the duty of each and everyone of the insurance adjusters and people involved with insurance or warranty situations to deny any claim they can. That is why they are employed with that company. That is how they are trained.

With A Car Tire situation on a motorcycle, as far as I can tell though they do not even try. Even in states in the US that do require safety inspections there is no wording or restriction about a CT. The only thing I have ever been able to find is if a tire says for off road use or for farm use only, then it is an issue. For any insurance company to deny any claim on any use of any tire with the laws we have in the US, the tire would have to very plainly say on it, For Automobile use only. DOT testing and regulation simply deals with speeds, loads, tread depth and many other things, but not for appropriate use, only approved for highway use. ( a loophole yep and a good one to know)

I have searched this subject till I am tired of it, and the only thing I have ever been able to find about tires in accidents is that if bald tires are found, sometimes they are attributed to the cause of the accident and a lawyer can make an issue out of it in a court of law if they wish to. Still they have to prove that it was the bald tire that caused the accident.

For example if a car, bike , school bus, whatever is going through an intersection and gets T-boned by another vehicle, can they prove it was bad tires that caused either to make the mistake.........see .............it is mainly just soothsayer nonsense that is used to fight us test pilots.

Again it is common sense, when one lives in an uncertain world with many different viewpoint and ideas and rumors and with 99 percent of them all not true one has to adopt to the situation, When in Rome do as the Romans do, So I have in my garage a perfectly good motorcycle tire and spare rim. If my transmission ever does go out, and I wish to take it to the shop, or the rear drive shells out, for whatever reason be it the CT or just because, the spare rim and wheel will go back on before the trip to the shop.

If you tow a trailer, it would be wise if you have an issue , with a frame crack, due it be to towing or sidecar use or not, it would just be wise when you select your hitch to select one of the models that use existing mounting holes, so if you do have a situation, hey take the thing off, take the wire harness off too. Throw a little dirt on the mounting areas, rub a little grease and grime on the frame, simply play the game that they play.

There is no known case that I have ever been made aware of or can find ,that any claim was ever denied to any motorcycle rider for the use of a CT. You can search the web and insurance legal matters for hours, and you will find none. There are just so many other laws in place that most are not aware of that it is not even an consideration, something they are not even going to tangle with.

Just this morning though I have became aware of the very first cause of damage to a motorcycle due to the use of a CT. A fellow on the 1800 board was riding down the road and his bike was damaged by a CT. :D Oh fire for the soothsayers. :) Thing is the CT came off a van up ahead of him and rolled back and took one of his saddlebags on the bike clean off. Lucky for him that is all it did. But I now have my very first report of any damage to a bike over the use of a CT on a motorcycle .

I will just have to be more careful. ;)

Kit

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

OK, here's the question I have and it pretty needs to be addressed by those who are using car tires, what grip do you have when you're leaning into a sharp curve?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

My comments are and will always be addressed to the 1800. For one thing CT use on other bikes and other applications can be and would be a grave safety concern due to many variables on motorcycles other than the 1800, or the Valk.

You actually have much more traction and grip in all areas of the lean of the tire, in regards to the lean angle that is possible to obtain with a 1800.

There is a difference in feel of the tire, and once one gets used to it , actually preferred by myself and a great many others.............up to a certain point, and on regular normal roads, gradual to hard turns and sweepers at normal sane speeds.

Now if you want to go to the extreme and call out that other Carolina feller Yellow Wolf and challenge him to a duel, yes at this point I would put a MT back on the bike simply due to the much improved handling and feel of the tire. This is an extreme not obtained or wished to be obtained by myself. So to me it is just more party favors and discussion around the campfire.

Kit

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

"OK, here's the question I have and it pretty needs to be addressed by those who are using car tires, what grip do you have when you're leaning into a sharp curve?"

very good question. I can only say that I have never lost traction on any kind of road surface, wet or dry, or in any curve. I'm NOT trying to sell anyone on a car tire, I wouldn't do that. that is a choice each of us must decide for yourself. and ONLY the 1800 has a wide enough rear wheel to safely mount a car tire on. the rear wheel on all the older GW's are too narrow to safely mount a CT on and I wouldn't advise anyone to try it either. I don't think it would wise at all. and if I rode VERY aggressively and in a LOT of curvy roads, I would probably still use a MT. not that the CT would not do it and do it safely but the MT will just give the feel and handling that I would prefer, IF I RODE THAT HARD. which I don't any more. and one other thing that to me is VERY important, I don't think I would be running a CT at all if I couldn't get a Run Flat tire. this is the main reason I wanted to try CT. any tire that will support 1200 LB of weight with zero air pressure in it sure sounds like it may save my rear someday. everyone drive safe and by all means use what makes you happy.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

Regarding the hydroplaning with a CT, how many of you out there run aCT on the front? I'll bet none! The point is this...at moderate and safe (read slower) speeds in the rain, wouldn't the front tire disperse enough of the water on the road to practically make it a non-issue with hydroplaining of the rear tire? Even at, say, 70-75 mph on the slab in wet conditions (not torrential rain), wouldn't thefront tire would clear a pathatleast to some degreefor the rear tire? Seems logical to me... I would onlyworry about hydroplaning if I ran the CT on the front, which is ridiculous to think of.

I don't run a CT [yet] on my 1800, but I'd think that unless the rear CT has no tread, I don't thinkhydroplaning is a safety issueat all (that is as long as I'm being smart regarding speed, etc.). You slow down in your car in heavy rain, don't you???

Your thoughts???? :baffled:

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
imported post

I would like at this time to point out to any members in the UK, that it would be illegal to use a Car Tyre on any bike unless it has a sidecar fitted.

A car tyre on a motorcycle is an immediate MOT failure. This by inference would give an instant out to anyone.

This is onlydirected at anyone residentin the UK, other parts of the world have different laws, and I think the debate should continue.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.