Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I've read a lot of posts regarding the use of car tires on 1800 wings. Has anyone ever used one or had any experiences using them on a 1500, or is it just not done.

Sorry if the question has been asked I tried looking in the forums but didnt see anything there.:bowing::15red:

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Don't worry about repeat questions, it's not a big deal.

It has been discussed because lots of people are interested. You are not alone.

It's really only practical on the 1800 because the tire sizes involved. On the 1500 there isn't a goodcar tire size that will fit on the bike.

·
Administrator
26,993 Posts
imported post

Stolen from another forum, which stole it from another forum.

It is official, I have it mounted and have done 100+ miles. Formoza FD2 175x60 16. It fits as easy as any rear tire I have mounted. No modifications needed to rim or bike.
The one thing I have noticed is a definite increase in rpms for the same speeds as with the other tires. Not enough handling difference to make note of, but there is just a little. Similar to what one might experience in changing brands. First long trip coming in a couple weeks so can report more then.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Stolen from another forum, which stole it from another forum.

It is official, I have it mounted and have done 100+ miles. Formoza FD2 175x60 16. It fits as easy as any rear tire I have mounted. No modifications needed to rim or bike.
The one thing I have noticed is a definite increase in rpms for the same speeds as with the other tires. Not enough handling difference to make note of, but there is just a little. Similar to what one might experience in changing brands. First long trip coming in a couple weeks so can report more then.
Interesting.

I'm not ready to jump in yet, but I have been interested in the dark side for a long time.

One thing that strikes me as negative about what this person said is the increase in RPMs. That tells me that the tire is shorter than the proper tire.

The 1800 dark siders use a CT that is very close to the same height. Changing the height worries me more than changing tire construction type.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

Isn't a bike tire domed rather than flat? As I understand it that fives the bike a rounded edge and allows it to keep traction and tread while taking corners.

A car tire is trying to keep maximum tread on the ground at all times and turns with a car's wheels into a turn instead of leaning and moving the point of contact between the tire and the road.

·
Administrator
26,993 Posts
imported post

deradler1 wrote:
Isn't a bike tire domed rather than flat? As I understand it that fives the bike a rounded edge and allows it to keep traction and tread while taking corners.

A car tire is trying to keep maximum tread on the ground at all times and turns with a car's wheels into a turn instead of leaning and moving the point of contact between the tire and the road.
It works nothing like you think it would. I won't tell you that you should or shouldn't but if you haven't tried it you cannot understand it. Hundreds of darkside riders that say they will never go back can't be very wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

cost of this Formoza FD2 175x60 16? please keep us informed and thank you....

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

Dave,

Does it corner differently with the car tire? And is there any significant milage difference?

·
Administrator
26,993 Posts
imported post

It corners better but feels slightly different, hard to explain. Actually gives more confidence especially on rough pavement. My choice of tire is slightly bigger than stock so I am actually going farther per registered mile but the gas mileage remains the same. The car tire lasts me about 75% longer than a motorcycle tire but many get a lot more out of them, I ride twisties faster than most riders so I'm very pleased with the longevity.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

deradler1 wrote:

I haven't rode on one, so I am only repeating what I have read, but as I say, I am very interested and want to try it so I read everything I can.

There is a former member on this forum, Kit Carson, that did some really good descriptive and open minded write ups about his experience. If you can dig up his threads here, you will get a real good description.

The car tire isn't as flat as you think. There is some curvature to the cross section of the tread, plus a tire gives as the weight presses down on it. So you always have at least as much tread on the road as you do with a motorcycle tire. But because the cartire has less curvature than a mcy tire, most of the time there is actually more tread in contact with the road. Look at a wore out motorcycle tire. They are almost as flat as a car tire. All wore out in the center and still lots of tread on the shoulders.

But because the car tireis flatter, it does effect the handling a little bit. The bike tends to want to right itself more, and when the road has a high crown, the bike tends to want to drift off when going straight. Easy to overcome,but noticable But in the twisties it handles like normally.

The trouble is that we don't have the significant amount of real world experience for the 1500 that we have for the 1800.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Thanks to all that replied with there thought and ideas on the car tire issue. Lots of excellent info and things to think about. But you know for the cost of that Formosa tire ($77.50) it would definately worth giving it a try good or bad. Thanks again I cant say enough about how great of a site this is.
A.J.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

I have been hovering on the brink of deciding to go darkside, I think that video clip is the decider. Looks like the sidewalls just can't take the cornering weight.

·
Administrator
26,993 Posts
imported post

The tire in that video was without doubt and very obviously ran with too little pressure. It may have been ran for some time completely without pressure.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

In my work I get to see the aftermath of many road accidents and I would say without any doubt in my mind that the tyre in that video was running with little or no air. No air puts much greater stress on the car tyre when it's fitted to a motorcycle, and cornering.

I think this being a kind of grey area makes it hard for us to know how much air to put in the tyre when its fitted to a Wing, but running it with no air is probably asking too much.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Just a little data..

Tire Size Diameter Engine RPM difference

Stock 160/80-16 26.0" Stock
CT-FD2 175/60-15 24.2 +7.5%

When looking for a car tire for my GL1500 months ago, this size tire (which is only used on a single Lotus model, as I remember) was $225..hardly an option, so I concluded there was nothing useful available.. glad to see Federal is making it for less.... I still won't use it because it will run the engine faster (although with a trailer it might be good).. I'd rather it be a little taller and slow it down.. ..... a 175/75 would be about right if there were sucha thing..

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

I agree, I read about this on GL1800riders. A co-rider stated the tire was brought to the attention of the rider at Dallas that the tire needed air during a gas stop. He never checked it, just rode it until it was ruined for about 350 miles. I doubt a motorcycle tire would go as far.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,828 Posts
imported post

Are we discussing gl1500 or 1800 Cts? I was under the assumption that the gl1500 rim wouldn't accept a car tire and needed modification to hold a tire. Has this been proven untrue?

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

To my knowledge you are correct. There are a few reports of a rim mod and then you could use car tires. I believe it was around $1000.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

dingdong wrote:
Are we discussing gl1500 or 1800 Cts? I was under the assumption that the gl1500 rim wouldn't accept a car tire and needed modification to hold a tire. Has this been proven untrue?
GL1500.. It isn't about the rim being able as in "holding a tire" .. it is about finding a tire that will fit the wheel well and be of nominally the correct width and diameter.. which, if I understand, is limited to one specific size that has a diameter about 8% less than the stock motorcycle tire.. if you canaccept the higher rpms, then yes, there isone available tire.. The modification that others have done (for about $800)is to cut off the 16" rim and substitute (weld on)a 15" rim which gives many more choices in available tires..

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.