Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi, I’m new to this forum.

I find it full of good information and I really appreciate it.

I recently read about car tire for the back of the GL 1800

Just a quick question, some mention 195-55-16 other state the 195-R55-16.

Are we suppose to use radial for this purpose.??

Although this subject has been exhausted on line I would still appreciate new personal feed back on it.

I will probably make the jump when the present tire give up, I enjoy the quick acceleration to much..;)

I’m from a VTX 1300 sold at 91000K andnew to GL and love it so far, I’m pulling and over weight Denray with camping gear so the durability of the car tire will be well appreciated.

Good weather to all.

I'm looking forward to the unlimited mileage available..:cheeky1:

My neighbor recently ask me "why don't they build cars like that " honestly it had never cross my mind

Puzzlegb

G

·
imported post

WELCOME FROM MISSISIPI
Someone will be along shortly to help you there is a lot of people here that dont mind helping a brother winger so good luck.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I run a Goodyear 195/55/16 run flat radial on my 1800. No problems yet. Corners well. Will not lose "quick acceleration" Has better traction on gravel and rain. I haul a 500 pound trailer without problems.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Thanks for the welcome guys.

SETHAN12 could you tell me the name of the of the Goodyear that you are using.

Since most article I’ve read never used the R in the definition I needed to be sure that radial tire where used.

Are the original tire on the GL radial??

Did you ever heard of a type of CT that one should stay away from??

Thanks again and good riding

Puzzlegb

·
Administrator
27,776 Posts

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

The R is for radial and an 1800 wing is designed to only run on radials. I am currently running an Excellance Goodyear run flat. I haul a trailer long distances and like the run flat. Some guys do not like the run flats. Some guys run winter tires 195/50/16 which is not as tall a tire. It is a personal preference as to what someone runs on. Kumho run flats seem to be a favorite among many riders. These tires are not cheap but the run flat piece of mind made it woth the switch for me.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Thanks for the reference, I'll keep reading on it .

Forum information make life a lot easier keep up the good work.

puzzlegb

·
Banned
85 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a car tire is a good idea, except for the fact that I have a lot to lose if we were in an accident and an insurance investigator notice the CAR tire, insurance could be denied including any medical insurance. You can cause a lot of damage with a Goldwing.

No thank you, I will stick to Motorcycle tires.

But good luck to you either way. :action:

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,501 Posts
imported post

`
To date, there have been no reported insurance denials based on what type of tire is, or is not on a bike. At least not on this forum.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

One more question, my 18 has a trailer hitch that stick in where the little fender light is.
Is it a Riveco hitch??
Just bought the wing a month ago and it’s my first one aaaand I love it.
Has any one with this type of hitch been able to used a 205-60-16 on their wing.
Thanks again for your time and for sharing your experience.
puzzlegb

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I am not positive but I think a 60 is a little TO TALL for the wing.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

wingpass wrote:
Sounds like a car tire is a good idea, except for the fact that I have a lot to lose if we were in an accident and an insurance investigator notice the CAR tire, insurance could be denied including any medical insurance. You can cause a lot of damage with a Goldwing.

No thank you, I will stick to Motorcycle tires.

But good luck to you either way. :action:
If you can find this anywhere in writing, please let me know. If this was the case for sure I would definitely go back to amotorcycle tire. Facts only please. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

I could be missing something obvious here....but why on earth would anyone decide to put a flat car tyre onto a motorbike?

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

jamesobrady wrote:
I could be missing something obvious here....but why on earth would anyone decide to put a flat car tyre onto a motorbike?
I like the idea of not having a flat 3,000 miles from home, espically hauling a trailer. Other people have other reasons I'm sure, but that is my reasoning. Very good question.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

I guess I'm missing something here, too. Are you saying a car tire is less likely to get a flat?
I won't say flats never happen on motorcycle tires but I've never had one in 50 years of riding.

·
Administrator
27,776 Posts
imported post

This subject has been discussed several times and it seemed to end with no general consensus. My opinion is that since it is not molded into a car tire that it is not to be used on a motorcycle and it says nowhere on the bike not to use a car tire and there are no laws against it in the US anyway, that anyone knows about that an insurance co. could not deny a claim on that alone. If they could prove that the use of a car tire on a bike caused an accident , which is not likely, they could deny a claim. I think they would look kind of silly trying to say the bike stopped too good, handled too well, rode too smooth or had too much traction and cause an accident.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
This subject has been discussed several times and it seemed to end with no general consensus.
Yup, that's how it is. You either want a car tire or you don't. I don't know why each car tire question turns into a pros/cons kind of a thread, but it does.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

bprior wrote:
I guess I'm missing something here, too. Are you saying a car tire is less likely to get a flat?
I won't say flats never happen on motorcycle tires but I've never had one in 50 years of riding.
The tire on my cycle is a "run flat" which means if it loses air it will still maintain proper function. I still check air pressures before every ride but I feel this gives me an added safety measure when hauling my trailer long distances. Along with better grip in any condition and better ride.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.