Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This is my first post and new to this forum. Have been dissatisfied with the options and performance of tires available for the wings, I have been reading and talking to the locals here about car tires for the rear. I purchased a Falken ZIEX ZE912 195/55R/16 V-rated. I have about 350 miles one up and have driven it from Bakersfield to Los Angles, (about 110 miles each way) which is fairly straight but does have mild twisties. I do feel a difference in cornering but at the same time it's comfortable. Talking about feeling a difference in turning I feel a difference in the original MC tire after about 2K miles from the flat spot in the center anyway so I'm thinking what's the big deal. I agree there is nothing like a brand new tire, It's like power steering. I like to ride hard but that doesn't mean racing up the canyon at a 45 degree lean or I would have bought a sport bike. I think the GL1800 gives us the best of both worlds, it's nimble yet comfortable enough for my wife to fall asleep (go figure). I'm concerned about the correct tire pressure for the rear tire. Another pet peeve was the cupping in the front tire and have learned recently it's been my fault all along by running too low tire pressure. I'm shopping for a new front tire and got the Avon tech support to email me and is telling me he's not a salesmen but he has heard good feed back from the New Avon Cobra's with the new technology, maybe soon. I have tried them all and the Avon's Venom R I through away after 3K miles and ended up with the last two sets of Metzlers ME880. If any of you have some advise on rear tire pressure with the car tire I would appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Welcome Kent to the Forum from the State of Confusion......Kansas! :waving:

I do not run car tires on my 1800 so I can't answer your question but I sent you a PM.

Again, Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum in my opinion on the WWW!! :)

Ride safe and often! :action:

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
imported post

I don't have car tires on my GW, but I'm willing to give you the benefit of my inexperience. Hehe. Actually, I do have quite a bit of experience with tires in general.

My assumption is that the reason you chose a car tire is that you can get even wear across the tread pattern for long distance mileage. This advice obviously wouldn't apply to a MC tire. So, with this in mind, here goes.

The only marking you will find on the tire is the max pressure for the max load. There is no magic correct pressure. It is based on the size of the tire and the load it will be carrying to make the correct contact patch. You will have to start somewhere under the max pressure (maybe 10%) and watch the wear pattern. If you notice excessive center wear, reduce pressure. If you notice more edge wear, add air. If there is a question of the starting pressure, I would go high (not to exceed max pressure) rather than low for safety reasons. Too low and the handling could get sloppy.

This may seem obvious; however, most people don't seem to follow this rule when deciding what pressure to run in cars and trucks. For example, most people run the same pressure in the front and rear of pickups, which weigh much more in the front than the rear when unloaded. They either have excess edge wear on the front, or excess center wear on the rears.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thats pretty funny, I was born in Topeka, Kansas. Been here since 1959 but have a lot of family in Kansas.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

A CAR TIRE!! Oh No!! :D PM Sent. Kit

·
Administrator
26,175 Posts
imported post

No comment!!!!!!!!

Actually I run the same pressure as the bike tire, 41 PSI. But mine is a bigger tire.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
imported post

I run a Goodyear Triple Tread 205/55/16 At 33 Psi.....Love it. I have around 6000 miles on this tire...It is a non run flat...I ran two run flats before this one.

HTH BB1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.