Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum and I have a question about putting a car tire on the rear of a 1500. Can it be done without any major mods? I have one on my VTX and I really like it. Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi sundog and welcome to the forum this subject has been covered a lot here if you go to search box amd key in car tyre you will get all the info you need

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

Short answer is no, the rim of a 1500 will not let a car tire set and seal properly.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

My question is the reason behind wanting to put a car tire on the bike. Even if I would consider doing this I woould still go for a high end tire and there will be no savings. I like the idea but still stick to high end bike tires.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

Hey Sundog, I think Coyote bill has a car tire on his. Is his a 1500 or an 1800? I think he would know if you can put one on a 1500. Chiefy

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Ask Kit Carson :waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
imported post

Why put a car tire on a motorcycle, is it just to save money? Aren't car tires designed differently, ie squared profile and no thread where you would be leaning on a motorcycle?

·
Administrator
26,154 Posts
imported post

snrlawyer wrote:
Why put a car tire on a motorcycle, is it just to save money? Aren't car tires designed differently, ie squared profile and no thread where you would be leaning on a motorcycle?
Lots of reasons, all of them good and saving money is the least of them. And no, it does not ride on the sidewall of the tire when leaning. contrary to popular belief.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Short answer is no, the rim of a 1500 will not let a car tire set and seal properly.
The stock GL1500 16" Rim will fit a 16" car tire just fine, but it won't go on the bike.. problem is there isn't a tire available (in a 16" diameter) that is narrow enough to fit in the hole between the swing arms. Car tires have been done on the 1500 but requires making a custom rim (15" dia instead of 16", about $800), then you have several choices. The 1800 doesn't have this problem because there are tires available (more room between arms)..

I'll qualify the above a little, 'cause I did find a special sports tire made especially for Lotus that appears that it might fit.. at least by the spec dimensions... problem is this tire is $400, so no advantage to me... oohh.. also found a couple antique auto tires that will fit too but not rated for speed..

As already mentioned, Kit Carson has several posts on car tires on his 1800; you might look for those... although nothing about a 1500..

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
imported post

hi, i run a car tire on my 1500, have been for 3 yrs, it requires a special wheel, they are expensive, i am a computer dumb ass so i don't know how to link to my previous posts on the subject,try searching for my previous posts, there are pics there too, any questions, give me a holler.

MIKE aka RATE

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

:) What Sandie says just about sums it up. Not much of a resolution for the 1500, not in an economical sense in any event. It can be done, but even with the modified rim you are limited to certain width tires. Really not worth messing with on the 1500.

So you ask, why a Car Tire? What kind of mental case would even consider such a thing? This one more than considers it, and enjoys the benefits of a Car Tire with a big smile, on the 1800.

I use a Run On Flat tire, my new tire is the Dunlop 175/60/16. It handles like a motorcycle tire and

It is a Run Flat, is not going to bubble, de-laminate, or blow out at speed . That is and was and always will be my primary concern and the main reason I run a Car Tire, simply safety. I am not real trusting of any motorcycle tire on the rear of a touring bike. Just recently I am aware of a brand new tire, blowing out and causing harm and injury. So my main reason is simply peace of mind. An no like Dave says, the tire does not run on the sidewalls, the lean angle on the Wing cannot be that extreme, cannot get there from here.

Then:

Better traction in wet or dry, especially in the wet, get used to a CT in the wet and you will be scared to ride the slip and slide round tire.

Better braking, you can stand on the rear brake pedal, not going to slide, and with ABS it is even better.

Much better stability and balance at low speed handling, extreme stability at high speeds and or riding two up.

Wanna play in the gravel, it is cool with the CT

No cupping of the tire

Front tire wears longer

No wobble

Some say smoothness of the ride, well I run a run flat, so I really see no difference in the ride over the concrete factory radial. I have no desire to run a non run flat, if not for the run flat tire I would still be running a Stone.

Last but not least, some folks get as high as 40,000 miles out of a tire such as the Kumho. Again it depends on your riding style and roads you ride. I think 20,000 miles is going to be average for the Dunlop Winter Tread I am running, but again I run it for the Run Flat feature, not tread life.

Negatives not any I can think of, have not found any and I am hard to please.

Differences, when you first use a CT is it just like getting on a strange bike , of a different brand, there is about a 100 mile learning curve, you have to get the feel of it, well that is the way with a CT.

There is a bit of tail kick and a tendency to walk to the low side of the road crown or any depression in the road surface, this is so very slight one gets used to it just like getting used to that new bike and it just fades away . There is the tendency of the bike to want to stand up in the corners, and you do countersteer it into the corner , but I find I prefer this, it has taught me to be aware, to drive the bike, to be in control, hard to explain this one till you experience it.

But no Sorry, no solution , at least an economical one for the 1500.

Kit

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,654 Posts
imported post

Well, I have a link to a previous thread on putting a car tire on the 1500.

And as I recall, the wheel requires a lot of rework.

Car Tire on 1500 Goldwings

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,654 Posts
imported post

That video appears to have a tire with too wide of a cross section to be on a 1500. I suspect it was filmed on an 1800.

A shame it did not have documentation to state which bike.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
imported post

I think I will pass on the car tire, thanks. I watched that video several times and it seems that (at times) when leaning there is very little contact between the rubber and road, unless I'm seeing things in the attached screen image. I guess this is because car tires have a flatter profile than ones made specifically for motorcycles.

I'm not criticizing people who use car tires on Goldwings so please don't jump down my throat or start a flame session in what is really an interesting thread. I just don't think it is something I want to do, at the very least I would have a niggling doubt while riding and that might cause me to alter my riding habits.

To you guys using car tires without problems, I wish you many happy miles.

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,154 Posts
imported post

I have seen that video several times. I don't know how much air pressure is in that tire but way too much. I have followed one like that in several miles of twistys and it never looked like that, in fact it had at least 1/2 the tread on the road at all times. People following me also tell me there is at least 1/2 the tread on the road at all times. I run 35 PSI in mine and used to run 40 but the middle wore out too fast.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Most car tires run at between 28-34psi. That one in the youtube screen shot 2 posts up looks like it has too much air. Any Darksiders I see have much more of the tire on the floor when leaning over. I don't run a CT myself and have no plans for it either, but many riders love them.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

I never even knew there were guys using car tires on Wings, but I've only owned mine since last year and still learning.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.