Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been seeing in videos and on club rides that some guys are using car tires on the Gold Wings anyone have experience with this? Recomendations on which tires?

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Just because other people do something does not indicate that its a good idea.

Bill
I agree with that. The best part is if you try it and don't like it based on your driving habits, you can always change it......

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts

Bill

Naysayers!! Just because those that haven't tried it say it's bad doesn't mean it really is. If new things were never tried that weren't supposed to work we'd be sleepin in caves. If you haven't tried how can you it's not a good idea. :?:waving:

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Whitewingguy: Did you happen to be anywhere close to the guys on a ride with the CT on the back and watch them or ask them anything? If you did see them, what is your observation? I am just curious of what you think.
Friends of mine have CT on various bikes and love them and i have seen them ride. With the tires they are using that are flatter than some, it looks like they are on edge... BUT my Metzeler doesn't look like it has any more contact area when i am cornering.
I don't have a CT on mine and may never put one on my 1500..Maybe when the wife buys me an 1800?
I am just going to say if it works it works. If you haven't tried it don't knock it. If i tried it and it didn't handle right or whatever, than so be it.
You can argue about it till eternity about why it shouldn't work, but guys on here and everywhere have proven that it does work and works well for MOST guys .

ALSO ------ I just wanted to say i love this forum-great bunch of guys
I just wanted to say something for the heck of it and get my post count up. lol

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I did ride behind my buddy and talked with him.
He says on the highway the ride is better than MT. but on cornering he notices a slight difference. The big thing is that on very slow IE: driveways, parking lots and rough roads it is harder to control it seams to feel lumpy. that is at 5mpg
It looks fine from behid I do notice that the edge does seem to take more stress than the MT.
He says he has gotten many more miles on it almost double.
I just put on a set of Dunlop Elite 3 so I have about 12K or so miles to keep researching. I will probably try it next change

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Well, he can try my wheel and Vredestein on his bike for a few days if he'd like as I pulled mine off before insurance co takes it away, if that happens, don't know yet the outcome.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Do a search on the subject on this site and I bet you will see hundreds of posts with opinions from people with experience.

·
350 Posts
whitewingguy,
presently I have a car tire on my wing , it's a Dunlop wintersport ROF (run on flat ). this tire for me is great ,no problems at all.
now for a little prospective on the performance of a car tire on a motorcycle.
my previous bike to the wing was a Suzuki Burgman 650 executive scooter (pretty much a downsized wing ). anyway, after putting a car tire on my burgman I had never really put that car tire to the test i.e. speed in corners, real hard braking , in others words pushing to the limit uninhibited .
well about one and a half years after mounting that car tire , a day I'll never forget ...here is what happened ....story as follows.... taken from another forum from july 2009......

Hey gang, today while out riding and doing some errands I got a call that my mother was having a stroke and on the way to the hospital. ( she's ok it wasn't a stroke )
Well it was at this moment that I lost my mind..
and only by the GRACE OF GOD am I here.( ok strap in this going to get hairy ) Have you ever heard the expression "Driving With Reckless Abandon" that was me....from where I was to the hospital (ez driving ,cruising enjoying the country side ) about 45 min to1 hour. I took off like a bat out of hell ..... b-lls to the wall . drivin it like I stole it ... and with total disregard for myself and anybody else
....get the picture...OK ....well like I said only by the GRACE of GOD am I here !!! and I made it to the hospital in 25 min.....all is well , but here is the real news HOLY SH-T DOES THIS SCOOT HANDLE... I have owned this BURGMAN 650 EXEC FOR ONE AND A HALF YEARS and I guess I have never really put this bike to the test.
I mean i have gone through the twisties at a good clip with a burger smile
and had a blast.. but never like I did today. Actually I don't think I have ever driven any bike like I did today. and guess what , I'm a DARKSIDER and can now tell all of you without ANY reservations I won't EVER question a CAR TIRE ON a BIKE EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and lastly if any of you get a call like this, STOP take a breath, clear your head , think and be careful..

Do cars with car tires get flats or blow....YES
Do cars with car tires get flats or blow and have accidents....YES
Do cars with car tires get flats or blow and have accidents and people get KILLED....YES

Ok that covers that.

Do motorcycles with motorcycle tires get flats or blow....YES
Do motorcycles with motorcycle tires get flats or blow and have accidents....YES
Do motorcycles with motorcycle tires get flats or blow and have accidents and people get KILLED....YES

Ok that covers that.

now here is another perspective.and this article helped change my mind about putting a car tire on a motorcycle....http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/27/theDarkSide.html

this is all my own honest opinion and I'm not trying to sway you one way or another..You must do the research and come to your own conclusion.
Good luck and happy motoring...DOC

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
I have been seeing in videos and on club rides that some guys are using car tires on the Gold Wings anyone have experience with this? Recomendations on which tires?

Here we go again!
:ROFL:
check the sticky posts about the car tires (darksiding)

·
Premium Member
476 Posts

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
about the only thing I can say from first hand experience is this...

I run Dunlop E3's front and rear... Not too long ago I had a flat on my front tire... on the interstate... going 75mph... I never even knew it until I slowed for an exit turn. It felt kind of wierd- like I t was taking the turn alot faster than I was, and taking it really deep. I was a little confused as to exactly just what happened when I slowed for a U-turn. As I turned, I felt the bike try to lay down- the bottom of the bike just sliding beneath me really fast. I righted and pulled over. By time I stopped I figured it out- flat tire. VERY SCARY!

Having the Goldwing is great- built in air compressor. I filled it up, made my appointment, filled the tire again, and went home. All the way home it was the same- on the interstate and straight roadways, I could not tell the difference. Only in a turn was I able to feel it.

My point is this- my Dunlops (and presumably all motorcycle tires) have thicker sidewalls than car tires. They are able to support the weight of the bike when flat without collapsing like a car tire does on a car. I have had blowouts/flats with cars at highway speeds and they are not fun. I could not imagine that on a motorcycle. I do not know if a car tire is able to support the weight of a bike when flat.

Anyone know information on this?

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
Try a darkside search. You will find nay-syers, those that swear by them, a few different popular ones and their benefits/differences...
There is NO shortage of darkside information/opinions/experiences.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts

Bill
Certainly, but just because other people "do not do it" does not indicate that it is a bad idea either!

The difference is those who "do not" actually no have Real Life Experience to talk about, only what they THINK or READ in some book or thread post etc...

Those who "DO" can actually talk about that is real by experience, not just Thought or read!

I mean really, Tons of people jump out of perfectly good airplanes every day, I never have (Yet). So, I am probably not really qualified to talk much about Parachuting other than what I may read somewhere or personally think of it myself based only on my own personnel opinion and nothing more.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Naysayers!! Just because those that haven't tried it say it's bad doesn't mean it really is. If new things were never tried that weren't supposed to work we'd be sleepin in caves. If you haven't tried how can you it's not a good idea. :?:waving:
Of course at one time no-one ever traveled by any way other than horse!
It was probably not a good Idea to invent a cart to have the horse pull because most people did not use a cart on back of horses at that time!
Certainly a wagon on a horse or two ......
Well, you know! :ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
good stuff thanks
I see the Austone taxi is 1" taller than the Dunlop e-3 That woould be a problem for me My inseam is 30" just comfortable enough any taller will be tippy toe and I don't like that any other tires that are same height of E-3?

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
I know there are tons of post on the subject and just as many opinions

I for one have gone double dark side, I have a 30 inseam so I went with the Dunlop Wintersport ROF, I found it shorter than the E-3 that was on the bike, just enough to be able to flat foot at stop lights if I sit up straight

my personal observations differ a little from most I read, I will say I love the way the bike rides and handles compared to before I made the change and will most likely never go back to stock MC tires

what I found different from most I read is
I find the bike handles FAR better at ALL speeds
I read a lot of people say they feel slow speed or loose ground handling is worse
I found I have better stability on loose ground at slow speeds ie dirt parking lots and even some light mud than before

I can turn the handle bars untill my helmet holders hit the windsheild at a crawl and not feel it's going to drop

I do feel I lost some high speed stability but I don't run fast enough for any distance for that to be a problem

I agree it was a bit weird at first but it was an easy adjustment once I found the right tire pressure, for me 34 psi was the right # in the rear
44 psi for the front

these are just my personal opinions but they come from riding every day rain or shine

I still haven't figured out what people mean when they say they miss the feel of the motorcycle when they go to the dark side, I don't get that one as I feel it added to the overall ride experience

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you,do you have the wintersport on front and rear?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.