Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hey.. could anyone advise me on the carb adjustments on my wing.. seems to be running too rich some say 2 1/2 turns out on each carb.. any suggestions??

thx scot

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

scot wrote:
hey.. could anyone advise me on the carb adjustments on my wing.. seems to be running too rich some say 2 1/2 turns out on each carb.. any suggestions??

thx scot
Scot, you didn't say WHERE it is running "too rich".. Those idle needles only effect idle & just off idle (very low throttle opening)..

If your rich problems are right at slow idle then MAYBE a mixture adjustment might help.. Depending of(if)your carbs are still usingoriginal factory jetting & the seats or needles are not damaged from being overtightenedthe initial needle setting on the 84 are 3-1/2 turns out from seated (all but California),, or 3 turns out from seated (California carbs).. That is just the initial setting & you should do a proper idle drop setting from there (that will leavethe engineemission compliant)..

If you don't wantto do the whole idle drop procedure __then start with a HOT WELL RUN IN ENGINE.. Set the needles to 4 turns out fromseated (& check & record the engine RPM's)then turn all 4needles in 1/2 turn & check the engine RPM's again.. Keep turning ALL 4 needles in 1/2 turn at a time until you see a drop in engine RPM's (give it a little time between adjustments to fully stabilize).. When you see the idle RPM's drop back then all 4 needlesout 1/2 turn from there.. That will probably give you a good stable smoothidle but will be too rich to be emission compliant..

If your rich problem is at other than slow idle or an idle needle adjustment doesn't cure it,, then suspect a leaking air cut-off valve allowing too much pilot jet fuel,,or a leaking anti-backfire valve allowing exhaust to back into the intake manifold.. Remember those 1200 Wings have a pulse air emission system so tend to have a smelly exhaust at idle (you can plug that off if you want by placing plugs in the hoses between the manifold & cyl head fittings..

You could also have other problems_ like leaking carb needles or high fuel level, or even high concentrations of emissionarea gasoline (try a different type of gasoline)..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

well my spark plugs are black with carbon [cold?] even after cleaning then black againafter 1-2 weeks i am using reg
unleaded gas so maybe a higher octane? also use the plugs honda recommends.

whadda ya think?

thx scot

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

I think that if you've got blackened plugs changing the grade of gasoline won't make much of a difference. Going up in grades of gas is normally done to solve knocks and pings from pre-ignition. What kind of performance, starting or idling issues do you have. If you don't have any try running a hotter plug. It would also be a good idea to get a new air filter even if its not dirty. Old air filters can be cleanand stillnot flow properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.