Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi and good day to you all. I decided to check my carbs over all ok but had to renew the 4 Air valve Diaphgrams one each carb all had perished and you could see daylight through them! . All went well until I came to balance the carbs thats where the fun started. The front right carb just would not set up. Each time I tried to lock the locknut I lost the adjustment!! The thread has stripped partially on the bolt!! and The thread in the hole looks worn.

Any Ideas:baffled:

Rich

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Rich, it seems like the worn hole is allowing the adjuster bolt to slip when you lock the nut up. Apart from recutting the tread, I'd suggest using treadlocking compound on the bolt and when that hardens just spin the locknut down by hand and use treadlock on that as well. That will put the day of reckoning off for a while.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Inteleman wrote:
Hi and good day to you all. I decided to check my carbs over all ok but had to renew the 4 Air valve Diaphgrams one each carb all had perished and you could see daylight through them! . All went well until I came to balance the carbs thats where the fun started. The front right carb just would not set up. Each time I tried to lock the locknut I lost the adjustment!! The thread has stripped partially on the bolt!! and The thread in the hole looks worn.

Any Ideas:baffled:

Rich
Rich, I'm not real sure what the problem is without seeing it but if the threads are striped in only one spot maybe just run the lock nut up the bolt a ways until it's on good threads then add small washers between the nut & what it tightens against.. It would probably be a good idea to install a new nut also asyour old one has probably been damaged by slipping on those worn threads..

Twisty

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Ben's workaround ought to do the job, just sync it and put some locktite on it and let is set up. With locktite you don't need the locknut to do anything.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Hi again and thanks for the input. Your Ideas are good ones which I may try. However I too have been giving it some thought too!!

The thread pitch is very very fineand I do not have any new nuts to match the one that is on the bike is suspect the main culprit is thehole in the tab however the thread on the bolt looks a bit worn also? the bolt is slipping in the hole in the tab on the carb! as I try to adjust I can see it clicking back each time.

I am considering welding a new nut onto the tab on the carb using metric fine and cutting a new thread in the tab also. if I use a slightly longer bolt so I can put a lock nut on the top, this may work! it is just a bit risky. my trusty Mig and tap and die set may come to my rescue. I also have a very good nut and bolt supplier locally who may help. One or two options ? I think I may go for the more permament repair however the threadlock is tempting.

I will keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

I decided to go for the long term repair so I purchased new 1"m5 screws stainless fine thread ,pan head with nuts and washes. I tapped out the hole in the tab on the carb where the old thread had stripped. it cut ok but I was not sure it would hold.I then cut a slot in the end of the screw and slightly tapered the thread with a file so it would feed into the back of the tab easy. easy not so it was quite a fiddle to hold the screw spring and washer whilst screwing it through the tab. Once it started in the thread it was easy, new nut on and adjusted nut locked up ok. had it not held my plan was to tack weld one of the nuts to the tab to give new thread. The carbs are now balanced ok, just the mixture to sort out.

Thanks for the input

Rich

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.