Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced my engine, but pulling out the carbs there were all these damn hoses and I didn't keep good track of them. Seeing the mess of hoses, I started taking good pictures after that, so I'm confident all the engine wires went back right 馃槣.

Here are the pictures of the hoses that are confusing to me. I have labeled them so we don't have to say "the black thing". Thanks in advance for helping me sort out this mess!

Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
The hose schematic is attached to the engine.

Premium Member
Here is a link. Srudy the content and it will help you unravel part of the puzzle. To add insult to injurt you have the California Emissions which means you have to deal with the vapor cannister. Do what you can with the info provided. Then post back pictures of what you can not unravel. The list should be shorter.

Premium Member
CA Goes from #4 carb to tee fitting then ignition module.

CB That is the canister purge valve . Goes to the CA enpty branch of the Tee.

CC Goes to the nipple on the #4 intake tube

BA or BC One goes from purge valve to Canister. The other goes from canister to tank.
(I am not sure which hose is which. With a little trial and error type logic it should be easy to figure out. It works like this. One hose takes the vapor from the tank to the bottom of the vapor canister. The vapors flow through the canister and come out the top where the hose sends them to the purge valve. When the purge valve opens with vacuum the vapors return to the intake \where they are burned. )
So you need a hose from the tank to the bottom of the canister.
You need a hose from top of the canister to purge valve.
You need a hose from the purge valve to the engines intake.
As for which hose is which, I think it will only fit one way. :)

BB Is the canister vent to atmosphere

Screenshot (198)_LI.jpg

The nipple listed CC should feed 3 different places on a California. That nipple should feed the slow air, anti-afterburn and the purge valve as shown below in my illustration.

Screenshot (197)_LI.jpg Screenshot (200)_LI.jpg

Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
I had a 94,
I deleted the vapor canister

Administrator
I had a 94,
I deleted the vapor canister
Back in the 70s people would rip out anything they thought was emission controls. I saw heat riser tubes removed and cause carburetor icing, yep that did a lot of good. The vapor cannister isn't hurting anything either, it's just there to collect fuel vapors so they can be burned off in the engine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I'm definitely leaving the vapor canister on. As I learned in elementary school: give a hoot, don't pollute. (insert picture of mascot owl)

I was wondering why none of the carbs or diagrams I saw had the black tank turret thing. No wonder I was so confused.

I got all the carb connections figured out, thank you @redwing52. And thanks everyone else, also.

I'm still thinking and reading about the vapor canister connections. I'll post back if I can't figure it out. Problem space is a lot smaller now.

Premium Member
Back in the 70s people would rip out anything they thought was emission controls. I saw heat riser tubes removed and cause carburetor icing, yep that did a lot of good. The vapor cannister isn't hurting anything either, it's just there to collect fuel vapors so they can be burned off in the engine.
My Uncle was a way back. backyard mechanic. He bought a brand new 1974 Impala that ran forever. When it got too old and started having issues he took out the HEI and replaced it with points. I remember when I was a kid mechanic at the local Ford dealership the only electronics on a car was the radio. We would remove them and bring them in for any repair. I must be getting old fast. I think about the "stories I could tell". That is a phrase my Grandpa used.

Premium Member
Yeah, I'm definitely leaving the vapor canister on. As I learned in elementary school: give a hoot, don't pollute. (insert picture of mascot owl)

I was wondering why none of the carbs or diagrams I saw had the black tank turret thing. No wonder I was so confused.

I got all the carb connections figured out, thank you @redwing52. And thanks everyone else, also.

I'm still thinking and reading about the vapor canister connections. I'll post back if I can't figure it out. Problem space is a lot smaller now.
Just keep in mind a hose needs to go from the gas tank to the bottom of the canister. Also a hose from the top of the canister to the purge valve. Last hose from the purge valve to the engine intake. The vent of the canister is open to atmosphere of course.
Screenshot (201)_LI.jpg Screenshot (202)_LI.jpg

Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
I took mine off before E10

Registered
When I rebuilt my '94 Std I had to change out the motor so picked up an '85 FI and converted it to carbs. Before installing the carbs I removed all that emission tubing stuff underneath them and plugged all the orifices as needed. That sucker ran like a scalded dog, no popping on decel, started with one bump of the button. No gas smell...nothing. Finally sold it to a friend who used it to commute to work for a couple years then sold it for what he paid for it. Guess I did a pretty good job. ;)

Premium Member
The problem, @redwing52, is that there are four outlets from my canister. thoughts?

View attachment 324544
Flying by the seat of my pants but I wonder if it is one to the gas tank to gather vapors from the tank. One to the purge valve to return vapor to engine when purge valve opens. One is a vent to atmosphere. The one in question might go to to the carb vent hose to gather vapor from carbs rather than open to atmosphere. There is usually a hose that vents the carbs to atmosphere. It just hangs down along side the engine. I bet that is the 4th hose????? It would make sense.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts