Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hey Guys,

What symptoms would indicate un-balanced carbs on a 1500SE?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

RPM hunting when idling, lack of power or low MPG and slow return to idle when at higher RPMs are common symptoms but other things can cause some of that too.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanks for the reply Rudy. This all sounds about right. What I've noticed recently is when I really pour the coals to her she doesn't really hesitate but seems to be breathing hard (for lack of a better term) and i have just recently serviced my K&N air filter (installed by the PO). The bike runs very well but just odesn't seem quite up to snuff. I bought this bike about 20,000 miles ago (73,000 on the clock now) and I haven't touched the carbs. What is the prescribed maintenance schedule for balancing carbs?
Thanks, Mike

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Have you already done the high dose Seafoam treatment for a few tank fulls?

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Define "high dose" treatment. I did try the amount prescribed on the can (don't remember off hand what that was) in one tankfull.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

I used to have mine balanced every second year on my '90 1500 and it kept it running perfect... good response and after the first time about 15mpg better.

Problem was to find a tech that could balance them properly but once I did it was a new bike!

Tom I

:)

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

WOODSMITH wrote:
Define "high dose" treatment. I did try the amount prescribed on the can (don't remember off hand what that was) in one tankfull.
High dose means adding 1/2 can of Seafoam to a full tank of gas. Run until almost empty, then add the rest of the can to the next tank. Usually only takes 1 treatment like that, but depending on the condition, you may want to run a tank or two of plain gas, then repeat the treatment.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm halfway through that first tankfull now. I'll do it again and see what happens. Thanks again. Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.