Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I got a pair of vacuum gages from HF and was reading the instructions posted here on balancing the carbs and the only thing I am having a problem with is I do not have an adapter for the vacuum ports on the intake, everything I have or came with the gages is way to big? I cannot find a topic on the adapters so I thought I would ask and hopefully someone else had the same problem and found an answer.

thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
imported post

i made some from 3/16 brake line, ran a die over it screwed a nut on and an "o" ring, i sent some to someone here if you want a set pm me your name and address

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,467 Posts
imported post

Try Wal Mart's aquarium supplies....

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

While on this subject I have the Forums gauges on the way here. Has anyone used those. I was told they don't have a way to adjust the gauge bouncing out.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

I used nylon bolts. They're easier to drill. I believe I used 8-32 screws and nuts. Easier to find. The size is close enough to the 5MM thread in the manifolds and the nylon is soft enough that it won't damage the threads in the aluminum. An O ring and a nut seals them well at the manifold. If you can, use bolts with an un-threaded section under the head. It will be easier to seal the hose to the bolt. Of course, cut the head off.

Lyle

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

I believe I will by the Carb tune..sounds like the best one out there.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Why cant you just get some copper tubing and Thread it?

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Sure you can make them,i thought about it but as mentioned before they are fairly inexpensive to buy. I would worry about using plastic, it gets pretty hot down there. I was lucky enough to have access to a set of Morgans and they where the best. A good syn. will amaze you of how much better she will run.

Jim

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
imported post

I bought guages but returned them when bike and dennis refered me to motion pro,i bought a set of adapters,then took a closer look at ther site and went with ther fluid gauges I'm glad i did.I bought the adapters befor returning the hf guages.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Yep. Dennis is usually correct,he has more miles than a few of us put together. Made my own gauges and removed and cleaned my rake after a so called (mechanic) i paid $500 to do it screwed them up. But the final sync.with the Morgans really paid off.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

The Borrowed Morgans:claps::claps::claps::claps:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I took your advice since I already had the break lines and copper tubing available so I cut 2 sections off the brake line, threaded it, added the nut and "O" ring and then I inserted the 3/16 steel line into a short section of 1/4 copper tubing and soldered it. I needed to increase the size of the 3/16 since the vacuum hose inside diameter was about 1/4 inch, after that everything worked great........now I have another problem, first I am only using 2 gages and hooked up both to the left side first .......my problem is both gages are fluctuating rapidly and will not stop, anything I do just makes the engine run worse then before?

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

if you ever got a chance to see the morgan carbtune in use and the simplicity in action you wouldn't even think of using anything else

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,588 Posts
imported post

IC, there are some little gizmos you need to put in the tubes to stop the needles from bouncing. You get them at aquaruium supply stores.
You shouldn't even try to sync the carbs until you get the tool right.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Yep- Use small aquarium air valves as restrictors in the lines to reduce the bouncing.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

ceasefire49 wrote:
While on this subject I have the Forums gauges on the way here. Has anyone used those. I was told they don't have a way to adjust the gauge bouncing out.
Somebody told you wrong. As the Former Tool Master for the forum I can tell you right now the forum gauges do have in line valves to limit the needle bounce of the gauges.

For anyone who needs to see how to sync the GL1200 carburettors, here is a video:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.