Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:cool: Hi all,

Ive read somewhere that carbs need balancing every 5000mls what I cant understand is why do carbs go out of balance my exsperience with carbs is with cars normally its a mechanical method of setting the throttle openings together so that the pistons rise together hence the mixture screw is then brought into play to alter the mixture not the vacuum.I`m thinking of buying a set of gauges but want to make sure of the events in setting this balancing topic is woth the exspence.

cheers to all.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

:DCarbs go out of balance through wear. It takes an awful lot of wear before they are kaput, but in the meantime small amounts of wear (vacuum piston wear, diaphragms streching etc, all at different rates in each carb) means you have to balance at regular mileages which I believe is about every 5k on a GL1500. It's unlikely that your 2 carbs will deteriorate at precisely the same rate together, so the vacuum will reflect this and you will have to compenstae by adjusting it via the mechanical linkage. The vacuum is critical as it controls the pull, ie all the carbs must pull at the same time or you lose power, suffer from stuttering, straining etc.

Theres a load of technical mumbo-jumbo for this if you want (I still recall it from my apprentice days) but I've tried to explain it in a way you will understand, so I hope it helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.