Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

i have a 77 gl1000 usually in 1st and 2end while the rpm's are low the carb back fires threw the top of the carb it don't pop but you can hear it"puff" i was wondering what might cause this

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Backfiring through the carbeurator is usually a sign of the timing being too far advanced. I would check the timing before tearing into the carbs again. This could also be due to pre-ignition from carbon buildup in the cylinder or from too lean a fuel mixture. Or an intake valve that is not seating properly check timing.

I would also check for air leaks between the carbs and the heads, are the o rings in place on the manifold/head joint? Also are there any air leaks in the exhaust down pipes?

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

the timeing has been dead on and it does it still. i have a leak in my exhaust but it is after the two pipes turn into one. i think it is probably the carbs

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

MO84

I have the identical problem with my 78 1000. I too have an exhaust leak on the right side where the header and tailpipe connect. I re-built my carbs per Randakks video and used his parts/gaskets so I feel pretty good about the carbs.

I did have a local GW guru here (he owns a shop and has done Goldwing work for 34 years) told me that an exhaust leak can cause the "puffing" (my words) - I used a less delicate term- back through the intake plenum. As soon as I get the time I will try to fix the leak . i intend to put a complete exhaust system on in a few weeks but I am interested to know why the exhaust leak could cause a lean mixture and result in such carb flatulence.

Please post if you figure it out. I will too when I get time to deal with it.

Ride Safe!

OUB

Attachments

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

After checking everything twice to make sure I didnt mess anything up like makeing sure the timeing belts were aligned right,I fixed my problem I got some paste stuff to plug the hole in my exhaust which is now starting to chip apart. I decided i would time the bike like i time my truck(by ear) so i loosened the base plate for #1 and 2 and just turned it till it sounded good i did the same for # 3 and 4 points now it runs great. now that the stuff i put on the exhaust is comeing off the poping is starting to get worse and worse so a hole in the exhause is deffently half the problem.now all i have to do is get some pipe and weld it onto the exhaust so it is fixed for good. I tested to see how slow i could go in 5th gear and i got to 30 mph,which before i had to be doing at least 55 mph before hitting 5th. thanks for the advice everyone

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
imported post

OldUncleBert wrote:
MO84

I have the identical problem with my 78 1000. I too have an exhaust leak on the right side where the header and tailpipe connect. I re-built my carbs per Randakks video and used his parts/gaskets so I feel pretty good about the carbs.

I did have a local GW guru here (he owns a shop and has done Goldwing work for 34 years) told me that an exhaust leak can cause the "puffing" (my words) - I used a less delicate term- back through the intake plenum. As soon as I get the time I will try to fix the leak . i intend to put a complete exhaust system on in a few weeks but I am interested to know why the exhaust leak could cause a lean mixture and result in such carb flatulence.

Please post if you figure it out. I will too when I get time to deal with it.

Ride Safe!

OUB
Dang OUB, that's a pretty soambeech you have there. Or is it just good camera work?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

MO84

Thanks for the report. That exhaust leak thing may be the problem. However, today after about a 10 minute ride to check out a replaced rectifier, I pulled into my shop and put her up on the center stand. At idle I was checking the charging output and I noticed a strange noise I had not heard at idle before. i shut her down and pulled the plugs for number 1 and 3. The plug for 3 looked pretty good. The plug for 1 looked a little rich with maybe some oil residue. HHHmmmm. Started her back up and immedately a terrible clanking/metallic noise from the right valve cover. Sadly she broke both inner and outer valve springs on number 1. At IDLE! Bummer. Scratch my head a while.

Oh yeah. I remember that there was a LOT of rust pitting on one of the valve spring sets when I put it back together after rebuild. My fault. i tried to use a bad set of springs and it got me.

Oh well, I pulled the right valve cover and yep - a hand full of spring parts. So I pulled it all down to the point where I can now pull the head. I really need to check to see if I bent the intake valve for number 1. Not really a big deal. It's just a pain. Because i was trying to get her ready to take trip to N. Carolina next month.

I do now wonder if the "puffing" back through the carb and a little puff out the right tailpipe could have been her way of announcing an impending disaster. Maybe I wasn't paying attention to the old gal. I wonder if the intake valve for 1 was leaking and causing some back flow. How about it gurus??

This bike literally sat in the woods for over 19 years , was totally rust-bound , and locked up. Thanks to Ebay, my local GW guru, and another old carcass of a parts bike. I've got her back at least to a "rider" status. At least until this afternoon. But I'll have all this fixed in a couple days - not REALLY a bad day. I don't know if anybody is interested in any of this but I have a website that i can post some resto pictures to.

Anyway, I'll check the intake valve and install new springs check her out. If THAT fixes the "puffing", I'll let you guys know.

Johnnynogood

Thanks! She's not really too pretty now. kinda like a woman in themorning prior to the makeup routine. It's there.....but. I havent decided if I want to go forward to a full blown restoration or just keep her for those late afternoon rides around N. Florida.

I still need to paint her and do a lot of cosmetic work. This has by far been the toughest resto I have ever done.

Sorry this is so LONG!!!!
Later
Ride safe! OUB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.