Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

edzinohio wrote:
OK, I have 2 shop manuals, one Honda Factory and one Clymers. Just wanted to hear some real world tips on breaking them apart. I am going to replace all my air cut valves.

Thanks.
It will be a lot less trouble if you don't split the plenum... leave the carbs attached to the plenum andonly take the tops and bottoms off to clean/rebuild them.

I can't stress enough that you need to be sure that everything is super clean. Think everything through and take your time. Be sure to set the float heights EXACTLY to factory specs - I'm talking all within 1/2mm of each-other.

Even though the Clymer manual might have some good tips, the factory manual hasfar fewermistakes. When it comes to things like jet sizes, use the factory manual.

Carbs are fairly simple, but working onthem is like working on a fine watch. All those tiny passages, emulsion tubes, and jets are critical to your bike running right. Do it right the first time by being well-organized, working in a clean andwell-lit area, and taking your time to think things through.

When cleaning out the carbs, use carb cleaner, pipe cleaners,a toothbrush,and whatever else might work followed bycompressed air to blow out the passages. Don't use wire to clean out jets unless it's specifically designed for the purpose- you could end up enlarging them!

While you're at it, be sure your gas tank is not full of rust or other junk, and install a new fuel filter. It would be a shame to gunk up your newly rebuilt carbs with crap from a dirty or rusty gas tank.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
You'll have to split the carbs from the plenum, the air cutoff valves are on the side of the carbs, and 2 of them are right up against the carb next to it.

Raymond
Oh well... so much for that!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.