Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
imported post

An important element is to clean the idle mixture jet thoroughly. This is one that you can't remove it is the middle riser of the 3 that protrude into the float bowl. Its right next to the main jet riser.

I prefer to soak carbs in an ultrasonic cleaner. This assures that the solvent makes it into all the small galleries in the body of the carb. I have rebuilt two sets of carbs.

One test to see if the idle mixture jet is clear is to turn the carb upside down and fill the cavity just above the jet with gumout. If it doesn't drain or drains very slowly it is still clogged. You can use a copper wire but nothing harder than that or you'll damage the jet. On one I had to use PB Blaster, Gumout and compressed air until I could see vapor shooting out of the pilot screw hole. Blast Gumout into the pilot screw hole and alternate with air. Stick your finger inside the carb and feel for air coming through the separate holes on each side of the throttle plate.

Gas can turn into the hardest varnish that can defy some passive cleaning methods. Your friend is the red tube that sticks out of the Gumout valve. Stick it where the sun don't shine and don't be shy. Oh and wear eye protection. Gum out can exit at unexpected locations.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
imported post

One thing that is real important is to be sure you extract the washer and o-ring from the idle mixture screw seat. When you look down in there you will see metal all the way down to the end and a teensy bit of daylight. What your actually staring at is the bottom of the washer that is glued against the oring. That is unless you are lucky to retrieve it with the screw. Out of the 8 I rebuilt this was a recuring issue. I actually installed the screw with two orings and washers until one I was working on, I noticed had an obstruction. Got in there with the help of some dental tools and pulled those rascals out. If you spray n pray they may stay. Soaking makes them break loose. If you leave them in place they will space the screw further out and will completely screw up the mixture configuration.

The idle mixture circuit is very important not only for the idle portion of the band but is also a transitional blender to the main jet to assure smooth roll out.

Harbor Freight sells a blow gun with hyperdermic needles that you can screw on that get into the tight places.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.