Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I finally pulled my carbs today, given incessant flooding in carb #1. There was an aftermarket float needle/valve+seat installed by previous carb owner's Honda rebuild. Luckily, i have my old carbs. I pulled the whole float works, including the float and reinstalled. After 3-4 times pulling the carbs on and off due to continued float level problems/flooding, i think i nailed it. There was a bit of gas in the airbox, but none leaking out now through plenum. Also, #1 plug no longer black, and sputtering gone. I set the float tab a little low so it would seat the valve needle for certain. This must have been the problem. Runs like a smooth machine now. Dead even idle, lots of power. I've had it anyway. Seems i've licked it. Yesterday was replacing the exhaust>header gaskets! She purrs.... Hope my mileage picks up.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

That's great! Sounds like it's running good now.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks, Marco! Hard work. Could have also been a sticky float pivot pin -- the float didn't have the same easy 'drop' up and down, more like a bob. So even at perfect height, it seems it wasn't seating the needle. Perhaps the aftermarket needle + seat was flawed. At least i've got the stock fuel inlet screen on that carb now. Still not entirely happy to see gas in the airbox, but maybe that's because of empty bowls + over filled to restart. Anyway, hope it's fixed! arrggehhh

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

mag wrote:
Thanks, Marco! Hard work. Could have also been a sticky float pivot pin -- the float didn't have the same easy 'drop' up and down, more like a bob. So even at perfect height, it seems it wasn't seating the needle. Perhaps the aftermarket needle + seat was flawed. At least i've got the stock fuel inlet screen on that carb now. Still not entirely happy to see gas in the airbox, but maybe that's because of empty bowls + over filled to restart. Anyway, hope it's fixed! arrggehhh
Yep, some of the aftermarket float valves were not too good. When I rebuilt mine I used all new parts except the float valves. Reason being I like having those little screens on the float inlets!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.