Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 1200 was sitting for 3 years before I pulled teh carbs last year and gave them a cleaning. This is only my 2nd tank of gas with seafoam so I may have to wait somre more and see if milage cures my prob.

The problem is that the first start of the day takes so long i am affraid of killing the battery or starter. Choke pulled or not it will fire up to 600 rpms and die , then 680 and die . It will keep doing this Till i finnaly get her to 1100 then raise the rpm with the throttle and hold her thier till she warms.

Idle while cold will be low,(900) and when warm(1400) If I lower the idle she may not start or run properly

2nd issue is that she lugs at 2200 to 300 and clears until the 4100 then starts lugging again.

The lugging feels like shes flooding because if I hood the throttle in that position she will eventually get through it but with extra power which violently pulls me forward.

This is really dangerous in a turning situation.
I was almost positive it was a carb issue, maybe vacuum or something but wanted to be sure .
New air cleaner, fuel filter,fresh fuel,87 or 91 octane new NGK plugs,New belts,Synch showed right .before the 200 miles ridden.

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

It's obviously too lean. I don't know if 1200s have a mixture adjustment, if it does give it one more turn out or if it doesn't your floats may be too low.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Ive done 240 miles on new plugs. Can a lean mixture show signs on my plugs this early

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Lean will white your plugs out in a few miles.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Is this a mechanical fuel pump or electrical? Either way I would do a flow test and also check the filter. Because it goes all the way through the rpm range I doubt it is related to spark advance but I would do an individual plug test for firing. Might try a small water squirt bottle to spray on the headers on first start up in the morning to make sure they are heating up evenly.

Also have you done a compression and valve lash check? If those are off significantly they could produce the results you are describing. Same with Valve timing. Check your belts for perfect allignment.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I figured out my problem and thought Id post an update to help those with similar problems. I cleaned my carbs last year and stored the bike with seafoam. I thought i would be ok to just ride this year and had carb issues. Not starting correctly in the am and also hesitating around 2200-3000 and from 4000 on up.

I found the slide needles still dirty and the seafoam must have loosend some gunk that I found in the bowls.
After reinstalling and another synch i have a new bike.
Smooth power .ANd boy power lots of it.
Wheelie type power.
thanks for all the suggestions, Though they werent the cause, at least now I know those things are in good shape.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

It's always a good idea to drain the carb bowels periodically. At least once a season. You'll be suprised what you find.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.