Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

First a few weeks ago my biek took 3 to 4 seconds to start instead of 1..so I ran some sea foam seemed to help, then it started to bog like it was losing one cylinder on acceleration in second gear..sometimes third but always between 2,000 and 3,500 rpm fairly consistence but not always??? . Last night it got much worse..ran poorly in all gears on acceleration and at speed, popping out the air box, again like it had lost a cylinder for about 3 minutes. Then all of sudden the problems stopped and ran like it should..strong.

So I figured it's time for a carb cleaning if not a rebuild it's only been two years so I hope just a cleaning. But what else could be? loose wire in spark circuit? some other electronic item going south?

How about a list of most likely from first to check to least likely..just trying to reduce my diagnostic time..I suck at it...

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

Hey! we're basically neighbors!
anyway, for my 81, i had that happen to me on a couple of situations.

fuel cap not allowing flow, fixed by drilling 2 holes
blocked fuel filter- replaced
water in spark plug holes, cleaned drain holes

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

Sounds like Bschofield has given you some good alternatives there. If these do not work then it could well be the carbs. If they are dirty, or out of synch hey can cause a multitude of problems.

:clapper:

Other possibilities include coils, plugs and plug wires.

:shock:

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Doesn't sound like a carb issue if it runs perfect one day then acts up the next. I'd consider the ignition suspect.

Next time that happens though, drain your bowls and see if the same amount comes out on all four.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,827 Posts
imported post

Also check the main ground cable connector on motor.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

If you want the GL1100 to start quickly everytime, consider leaving the bike attached to a battery tender. They start much better with a full charged battery.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
imported post

I don't know about the charger thing. My 1982 starts better the the fuel injected bikes my coworkers drive (2 Vstrom 650s, 1 Triumph 675 and 1 BMW r1200gs). Theirs all take several revs to start while mine usually catches on the frist turn over. The only time it sees a charger is in the winter.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
imported post

Usually popping coming from the intake is timing or electrical and popping coming from the exhaust is fuel problems or carbs.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I have checked the screens they are clear and the tank was almost spotless..Note I did clean it and seal it with POR15 two years ago and it's holding up very well..NO bubbling or flaking of the coating and no rust.

The fuel filter is good too..I ran some gas through it once I had it off the bike and it went through w/o any problems..very fast.. I also back washed it after I tested it and very little came out a few rust flakes/dirt and it flowed well backwards too..but not much so the filter is good and at least 90% clean..a guess.

When draining the tank I did notice that when the tank was on reserve it flowed much faster than on...ON. Don't know if that's due to the higher location of the "ON' pickup(so less pressure) or a blockage in the line..so I will run it on reserve and see it that solves my problem..if it does likely blockage in the main line. For now I have a line to the pump that is clear with no filter so I can see fuel flow as I ride..may add filter to be safe but my tank is very clean..and I have filtered all the fuel I put back into the tank..

Also note when I restarted the bike the pump pulled the fuel through the line very quickly so I am fairly sure the pump working to spec.

Ok any thoughts...I am trying to be thorough in my explanations so you guys will have good info to ponder.

Next I will check the timing, hard to check other electrical as this problem is intermittent and until yesterday only happened on acceleration???

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
imported post

If it's intermittent than I would say you have electrical gremlins like a bad ground or loose connector or even your pulsers could be out of spec or maybe your stator is getting weak.
I would unplug the stator and check it for shorts or grounds, than I would start the bike with the stator unplugged and check for AC current by touching all three prongs.
It could be something as simple as a bad running light or an accessory that has a short which would make your bike drop cylinders by draining your DC current.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Ok ..the stator seems OK..puts out 13 to 14 volts running at 4,000 rpm most of the time..varies a bit.

O rings replaced two years ago..when carbs rebuilt.

electrical gremlins..I hate them and I suck at finding them..will check the two main grounds at battery and coils...any others?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.