Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have this gl1200 that was resureected early this year after sitting outside for 3 years. I must have overlooked the carbs when I first cleaned them. I also think the eafoam doses loosened lots of vuilt up crud that ended up filtering in the carb.

I decided to pull the carbs last weekend and have a thourough cleaning . If this would have failed I would have opted for a full rebuld,

Cleaned all ports and blocked jets, se t the floats, replaced all vacuum and fuel lines , reset the pilots to factory setting and synched the carbs.

Thanks to this wonderfull site for the years of knowledge I have gained. The operation was a full success.

I cant believe the dramatic change. Just a touch of the starter button and shes purring, no more eratic idle. Due to the quick throttle response I no longer have to fear comming into slow turns.

One thing I have to get used to is sghifting again. I taught myself shifting with the rpms a bit high. Now the rpms go to idel immediatly after releasing the throttle. So every shift winds me down before surging back up to road speed.

Thanks all.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,501 Posts
imported post

Ain't this place grand?

:clapper: on your success.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

I just redid my carbs yesterday. I was trying to adjust the idle mixture screws and found they were way out.
After removing and cleaning the carbs, what a difference! I guess I really got used to losing a little here and there for a while (2 years since I did it last). I have to be careful now, I really have to hang on! Weeeeeeee!

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

i was debating pulling mine tomorrow and cleaning them as i do not know when the po last did. now you have convinced me.. tomorrow it is. clean the carbs, and if napa has them, change timing belts. then i will finally have all of the unknowns covered..

this site is awesome!

with all of this garage work i'm going to have to get me an A/C for the garage! :action:

Barry

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

One of the good things about the 4 cylinders is the carbs are easy to remove compared to those on the gl1500.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
imported post

Idle jets are smallest ones and they are always clogged.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

remember that b string metall guitar string isthe perfect size for those small jets.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

Hey Muaymendez1,

You mean I can finally use that "B" string on my BASS for something..:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

not the bass. My wife said the same thing. " You are finnaly using that guitar eh???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.