Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi guys, after searching for months the cause of gas odor, I finally found that my GL1500 carb leaks fuel around the carbs area. I couldnt find the exact cause of the leak, but I could see the fuel drip around the top of insulator band. I'd removed the carburator and tighten all the screw (accelerator pump and float bowls covers). And the leak still persist after running the bike. Anyone had similar problems or knows the remedy. Tq

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

New gaskets, o rings and do a bench test before you put it back in the bike..also a stuck or improperly set float may cause a leak.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Tq RB, I think I found the leak due to left carb float bowl O-Ring. I could not get the O-ring part any sooner here, is it advisable if I used RV liquid gasket in addition to the previous O-ring. I'll make necessary precaution not to let the excess gasket in the float bowl. Again tq

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Not advisable if any of the liquid gasket stuff gets into the bowl and then into your jets..big problems..but if it's all you have I guess it's worth a try. you try try applying it to the gasket first, a light coating.

Note your float may be set to high allowing too much gas to sit in the bowl..double check the float level..

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

So far so good, the liquid gasket work well. I carefully apply very thin layer of RTV on the old O-ring. Hopefully it'll last. In the mean time I'll be looking for the O-ring, may be order from Ebay. Tq RB

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

good thing the problem was found. what was the procedure for removing the carbs? just wondering if i need to do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

tommy421960 wrote:
T can tell you this much mark.
It aint fun.lol
Quite tediuos job but now becomes very easy for me. Just need some patience, both left and right fairing including the radiator fans has to come out. There's a manual on this and you can free download from this forum. It really helps.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

You don't need to take the fans out. Getting them in and out is a real pain. Make sure you have long nose pliers and a good, bright small torch (Oh, OK, flashlight).

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Graham B wrote:
You don't need to take the fans out. Getting them in and out is a real pain. Make sure you have long nose pliers and a good, bright small torch (Oh, OK, flashlight).
For me it's better to take the fan out because you need some space to unscrew the carb insulator clamps. Pse clarify if there are other ways. Tq

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

I replaced my screws with hex headed screws. Now I just use a hex socket in a long extension bar. You only need to loosen the upper screw either side and while it's a little fiddly to engage the socket, once engaged it's simple. A small flashlight helps too.

Each screw can be accessed by looking at the rear of the fan shrouds.

Hope this helps.

G

·
imported post

I took mt fans out.
It was much easier for me too.
It also gives much more light to see everything.
Fans were easy for me to take out and reinstall.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

I can't argue with doing what you find easiest. I'm surprised though as mine are a right pain to get in and out. Yours is a youngerwing though. Perhaps there was a small change made to facilitate removal.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Graham B wrote:
I can't argue with doing what you find easiest. I'm surprised though as mine are a right pain to get in and out. Yours is a youngerwing though. Perhaps there was a small change made to facilitate removal.
I'm with you, my fans were a real pain to remove and reinstall. I've had my fans out on three separate occasions, and none of them was when I did my carbs. I wouldn't dream of taking my fans out to do the carbs. But if someone has an easier time with them I can see where it would make a difference in being able to access the carbs.

In my case I have an 18 inch phillips screwdriver. You can reach right in and loosen the screws on the clamps. As I recall, there's a small opening just big enough to look through and see the screws and the screw driver fits right through there.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

RB wrote:
Not advisable if any of the liquid gasket stuff gets into the bowl and then into your jets..big problems..but if it's all you have I guess it's worth a try. you try try applying it to the gasket first, a light coating.

Note your float may be set to high allowing too much gas to sit in the bowl..double check the float level..
Just to update for all you guys. After applying liquid gasket with extra carefull to my carb bowl gaskets, my bike runs with no more gas leaks. It's almost 6 months now, my bike still runs very strong. tq

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.