Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Evening folks,

The carbs are a beast to get out of this thing! I need to remove the #'s 1&3 vacuum caps, but the phillips screws are TIGHT and now stripped. Tried my trusty screw extractor to no avail. I think my next step is Dremel the heads off and then mill the remaining screw out of the bosses after I get em out.

Any other ideas floating around out there?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

You can try tapping on them with a hammer and the screwdriver in the screw, sometimes it loosens it up, and grab the heads with a pair of wise-grip pliers. Some oil might be help.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

Channel lock makes a pair of 4in plyers that will grab the head and break them loose.

·
Administrator
27,914 Posts
imported post

Ditto MrZ, a good, long #2 phillips, tap gently so as not to break the tabs off the carbs.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
imported post

FIRST apply a dosage of PB Blaster spray to them and let it soak overnight .

AS a last resort dont cut the heads off with the dremmel . Use the dremmel to cut a straight screwdriver slot in them .

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

OnaWingandaPrayer wrote:
FIRST apply a dosage of PB Blaster spray to them and let it soak overnight .

AS a last resort dont cut the heads off with the dremmel . Use the dremmel to cut a straight screwdriver slot in them .
I had to do exactly this on one of mine.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
imported post

just pulled mine off yesterday. they had never been off. you gotta crack 'em. the ones I couldn't get to I grabbed them by the shoulders with a pair of channel locks and they gave it up.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Thanks for the replies guys. Because the screw heads are 100% stripped, I'm going to try let them soak and dremel a slot. If that doesn't work, then its off with their heads! I reckon these buggers have been locked in there for the last 27 years...

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
imported post

When you reassemble ,a slight dab of Anti-sieze compound to the new screws/threadswill make it simple for removal the next time .

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
imported post

I had real good luck with the "grab-it" system extractors.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Guys,

Thanks for the advice, I got them out! WD40 and filed flat screwdriver slots and viola! And talk about timing, literally, as I was pulling the carbs out of the bike, the mailman drove up my driveway with my Randakk o-haul kit and manual!

Life is good.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
imported post

madmonkey wrote:
Guys,

Life is good.

Cheers
And it's gonna get better when you get those carbs done.:action::action:

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

Madmonkey, that is TOO funny! Just got my Randakk rebuild kit and manual the other day... Fought like HELL to get one of the plenum screws to release.... Cussed it, boiled it in distilled water, cussed it some more, finally tapped in a slotted screw driver applied about two tons of force and "Voila!". The kit and manual are nice, huh? I've rebuilt GL carb sets before, but this is the first time with a Randakk kit/ manual combo and it's really nice. Good luck. Respects, Squirts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

squirts wrote:
Madmonkey, that is TOO funny! Just got my Randakk rebuild kit and manual the other day... Fought like HELL to get one of the plenum screws to release.... Cussed it, boiled it in distilled water, cussed it some more, finally tapped in a slotted screw driver applied about two tons of force and "Voila!". The kit and manual are nice, huh? I've rebuilt GL carb sets before, but this is the first time with a Randakk kit/ manual combo and it's really nice. Good luck. Respects, Squirts
It's like the damn screws were made of solder or something? Touch them with the screwdriver and they stripped right away! I HAD to get # 1 and 3 out or I was screwed (no pun intended).

Yes, the manual is sweet. A dummy (like me) can follow it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.