Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carb/power questions

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  britman 
#1 ·
imported post

Finally driving my 1980 GL1100 standard. Some problems. No power at speed. I did not balance the carbs yet, but I'll probably take em off again this week to check/adjust float levels again, and balance after that. Hopefully this will help the power problem. Also, the bike backfires from the exhaust on the right side only when I am slowing down from ~20mph to stop. A friend suggested the float level could be to blame for the backfiring? Also, I only get about 20mpg, so maybe the gas on the right is getting dumped through the exhaust on the right and I just don't notice it until it causes backfiring at slow speed. Oh yeah, I put on Road King exhausts, in case that matters - they are pretty quiet and I don't think they restrict the exhaust any more than stock.

1. When I remove the vacuum piston, there is a small black quarter-moon shape plastic piece. When I remove that, there is a jet there. What is it for, and when does it get used? Does it control the piston height?

2. How can I get the needle out of the piston assy? I removed the white plug there, but the screw that holds the needle in is very stuck. Besides letting it soak in cleaner, maybe some mild heat? Suggestions, please?

3. When exactly does the air cutoff valve work? Is there a test I could do to make sure they are working? My bike does not backfire when on the highway (full throttle to none), only at slow speed, slowing down to a stop.

4. Dealer said $78 for a neutral switch! Outrageous! Electrical tape on the light for me!

Sorry for the long post, but I think this group will be up to the challenges? I've learned so much reading this forum. THANK YOU ALL!

See less See more
#2 ·
imported post

Yea might want to watch ebay for a neutral switch..... found alot of good parts on ebay for my 81 1100 interstate... here awhile back my starter went out.. dealer wanted 400 bucks for one.. got one off ebay that was like brand new for70 bucks.... just a idea for the switch...

#3 ·
imported post

Have you checked your vacuum advance? Fed from #3 carb. That might explain no power at speed, & lousy mileage. Pop the vacuum line off the carb & see if you have a good vacuum. Also, suck on the line going to the vacuum advance. See if you can hear & feel it move.

That'sone placeyou couldstart before you pull the carbs again.

From what I've read, the Road King pipes shouldn't really effect you.

I have a neutral switch for a lot less than $78.;)

#4 ·
imported post

I suspect I have a loose vacuum line as well, but can really only see one on my carbs, off on the right side. I'd like to check the rest -

So, does anyone have a diagram or pic of the vacuum tube setup on the 83 GL1100?

Thanks!

Jack

#5 ·
imported post

Hurray! I just balanced the carbs... Lots of power now and I just got 35pmg! Much better!. It still backfires a little sometimes, so it still needs some tweeking I think. The lowspeed mixture screw is a real pain to get to- any hints on setting this better? I can just barely get my hand in there but the intakes and stuff get HOT! I cant get a needlenose in there and I don't see how to even get an offset screwdriver in there. I'd like to adjust them correctly and then rebalance them.

Thanks for the suggestions on the neutral switch, but it really looks aweful to change right now, so it'll have to wait till the carbs are adjusted better.

#6 ·
imported post

yea even the manual says to "flex" the frame to get to the neutral switch! it was a pain, but i just pried a screwdriver in there to get my little fingers in to the switch. good luck with that! and today i found a thin piece of metal, from a wind shield wiper blade actually. while balancing the carbs i had cut the metal and bent the end so it could reach those little slots to adjust it. hope you can find something to reach down in there!

#7 ·
imported post

The jets under the plastic come out in the cut off chamber. When cleaning the carbs they need to be cleaned out. There is only one vacuum tube to the #3 carb.

#8 ·
imported post

brianinmaine wrote:
Hurray! I just balanced the carbs... Lots of power now and I just got 35pmg! Much better!. It still backfires a little sometimes, so it still needs some tweeking I think. The lowspeed mixture screw is a real pain to get to- any hints on setting this better? I can just barely get my hand in there but the intakes and stuff get HOT! I cant get a needlenose in there and I don't see how to even get an offset screwdriver in there. I'd like to adjust them correctly and then rebalance them.

Thanks for the suggestions on the neutral switch, but it really looks aweful to change right now, so it'll have to wait till the carbs are adjusted better.
The backfiring would indicate a potential problem with the air cut off valves. They enrich the mixture on deceleration to prevent backfiring. As far as adjust the idle mixture screws I don't know how it can be done without one of these. http://www.bikebandit.com/product/1780

#9 ·
imported post

well this just helped me out some my 83 1100 has just been rebuilt it cost me 500 bucks and 2bad engines but i got one good one its the first bike ive had for 20 years and its so nice to ride but it chatters when i pull away and then it picks up but it just seems like its flat to me and down on power my wifes yamaha xv700 flys which makes me think the wing is down on power but its still a good bike after the starter problems and rebuilding all the brakes which i only had 1 last year and now ive got 3 brakes boy does it stop and rebuilding the master cyclinder too but ive been told that if you put our hands where the throtle cable opens the carbs up and feel them openning at the same time that they are ok and it might be air shutoff or somthing else and being out of work and having a broke down car i need the bike to ride so iguess with it going to rain here in IL the rest of the week i could try to do it then and take a look

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.