Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a 82 GL1100 that has me stumpped, I have know idea where the problem could be. I have gone back through the rebuild several times and I am unable to get fuel from the inlet to my float bowls, it seems to be air locked. I can't even get fuelto the float bowl with the plug out of it. I will take any help, Thanks:?

·
Administrator
27,933 Posts
imported post

Remove the carbs and take the bowls off, remove the floats and needle valves and seats and check the screens on top of the seats. Blow through the inlet and see if anything comes out the hole where the valve screws in.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

I have the carbs off and have done just as you have described and there isn't any issues, whenI blown through each have of the two carbs and there seems to be something that will not let the air vacate the bowls. If there is a flow diagram around somewhere I am sure I could figure out my issue.:?

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
imported post

I put the floats in upsidedown one time in my 1100. The measurment isn't even all that much different. Result--- No fuel to the carbs.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum, Brgold.

Not long ago, someone had a very similar problem on a GL12, I think.I can't remember anyone findingan answer to that.

Here's the thing. If all four carbs are dry, that means fuel flow is blocked before it reaches the carburetors.

Pull the hose off the "T" junction on the back side of the carbs and try and start the bike. Gasoline should run out of that hose. If it doesn't, trace it back until you get flow.

If it does get fuel to that point the "T" is probably plugged. That is thelastpoint in the flow that is common to bothbanks of carbs.

A vapor lock on all four carbs? All four inlet screens plugged? The chances that somethinghas gone wrong with all four carbs to keep them from getting fuel are pretty darn slim.

There is a chance that something was done wrong during the rebuild. But I can't think what it would be.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:

There is a chance that something was done wrong during the rebuild. But I can't think what it would be.

Floats upsidedown maybe?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Not meaning to offend anyone so early in membership, but the only way that fuel will flow to the floats is if the carbs are sitting as they do naturally, if you turn the carbs upside down they will be simulating that the float bowls are full and shutting off fuel. That is what has me stumped, there seems to be nothing that should be able to prevent the fuel from free flowing into the bowls but, it's not. I also do have Tee type setup on this bike, the fuel goes into the #3 carb & flows into #4 then #2 and completes its journey at #1. Is there a O-ring that I could have in the wrong place that would prevent the air from being released?

p.s. How in the world could you put them in upside down?

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
imported post

Remove T and flow separately

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
imported post

Astor123 wrote:
If you have them upright, as they sit on the bike, you can blow all day long and no air should get in since the floats are down and the valve is closed unless you dump 80lbs of pressure to it. Air locks are only present on lazy systems with no pressure.

Turn them upside down and see what it does. There is nothing between the bowl valve and the fuel pump.
wrong

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Did you pull the fuel line off the pump and see gas being pumped? is gas on? if nothing is comming out of tank, try blowing air into the tank. It may have a clog at the pickup end. The manual says you only get about 2 psi of pressure from a good pump so don't expect it to shoot out like a fire hose. I know when the bowls are dry it takes alot of cranking to get her to fire.On my friend's 1000, the gasket that joins the plenum together was leaking and dumping gas into the plenum and it never made it to the carb's. That's easy the check just remove the air cleaner and look down.,,

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Are you sure you have flow out of your tank, out of the filter, out of the pump..if you do then it's got top be a blockage right at #3 inlet if there is no fuel anyplace.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

turn your floats over and put them in and try again and then let us know.

mark:waving:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
imported post

brgold wrote:
What are you calling the T rail?
The "T" is a plastic fitting that directs the fuel to bothbanks of the carburetors.

The "rails" are the fuel tubes between the individual carbs on either side.
My contention has always been that, if you cleaned and re-built the carburetors correctly, the only possible explanation for what you are experiencing is that fuel is not getting past that "T" to the hoses that feed the "rails".

However, when you described your fuel flow you had a different path or I didn't understand what you were explaining.

GL11 owners, or anybody who knows,does that bike have the same fuel path as the GL12?

The problem could be as simple as a kinked fuel line, and all the questions and suggestions we are tossing out are standard trouble shooting fare. We are trying to help.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

Just asking a few dumb questions here, is fuel flowing from your tank? Is the fuel flow controlled by vacuum or just gravity fed? If your fuel tap is vacuum operated in other words when the engine is started normally a partial vacuum allows the fuel to flow from the fuel tap to the carbs. Just one carb would be connected to the fuel tap, the hose is usually a small diameter tube from one carb to the vacuum tap, it doesn't carry fuel. If there is no fuel in the carbs the engine can't be started and the vacuum will not happen and fuel won't flow. You can pull the hose from the carb and suck on it to open the vacuum operated tap.. Of course if you don't have a vacuum operated tap this is a dumb answer.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

If your engine is gravity fed, in other words you turn on your fuel tap the fuel should flow. If you pull the hose from the 'T' connection does the fuel flow? if it gets that far obviously the blockage is in the connection to the 'Rails' which means you will have to pull them off again.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

Mystery solved, during my float adjustment on#3 I must been not paying close enough attention and got my adjustment off and I found out if no fuel can get through #3 than it will not flow to the rest. I thank all who tried to help me, this is a great site, I hope I don't have to use it very often, because I know my GL will al:dude:ways work!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
imported post

brgold wrote:
Mystery solved, during my float adjustment on#3 I must been not paying close enough attention and got my adjustment off and I found out if no fuel can get through #3 than it will not flow to the rest. I thank all who tried to help me, this is a great site, I hope I don't have to use it very often, because I know my GL will al:dude:ways work!
Good deal BR,

I guess I have to go tear apart someone's GL11 to see how it works. It is apparantly quite different from the GL12.

Again, glad you got it working.

·
Administrator
27,933 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
brgold wrote:
Good deal BR,

I guess I have to go tear apart someone's GL11 to see how it works. It is apparantly quite different from the GL12.

Again, glad you got it working.
No the 1100s do not have the T in the fuel line. Fuel goes in a single fitting on #3 and through to #1 via a tube between them. It goes to 2&4 through a passage in the intake plenum.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.