Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good evening,
I have enjoyed riding my 1994 gl1500i this summer after buying and going through the bike last winter. She ran fine until a couple of weeks ago and still only has 27,000 miles on it. Now I have a rough idle, idle surging, and no power at takeoff. Once in the higher rpm's she has plenty of power. I replaced the spark plugs (plugs showed a little lean run) attempted to sync the carbs (they were slightly out), and checked the vacuum lines. I didn't want to take the bike down until the season is over, but now have no choice.
Questions:
1. A carb kit now? If so, which is the best supplier?
2. Go to bigger jets while the carbs are apart?
3. Any other suggestions before I take the front of the bike apart?
Thanks, guys.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
imported post

If it happened sudden like you say, you could have a bit of dirt in one carb. Try some carb cleaner and see if it helps.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

I would try some seafoam first. Add some to your gas tank and run it through the fuel system. It might save you a rebuild.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Kinda does sound like slow-jet contamination (is there any chance that you have an Emgo Fuel filter installed?)

You may want to begin by look at vacuum lines, and hope that you find a failed one befor you need to pull the carbs for a good cleaning.

If the bike was running well prior to all these low-rpm troubles, you chould not need to change the jets (unless other mechanical changes were made)

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
imported post

Hi Cranky, have a read of this, pretty sure your problem is vacuum related,have a look at he pictures and spray round the pipes highlighted and see what happens to idle rpm's. As far as vacuum hoses and timing belts are concerned mileage means nothing as far as I am concerned, age is more relevant especallywhers low milage and high temp climates are concerned, rubber deteriorates faster with less use.

·
Forum Toolmaster
459 Posts
imported post

Kenny wrote:
Oops,here's here's the attachment;

http://www.hrot.org/martino/carb/index.htm

Hi Crankyrider!!
Kenney's right!!! I just went through all of this with a rebuild kit from Randakks cycle shack. I have a 99 1500 and found the vacuum line under the carbs had a cut in the left tube at the bend. Go to the post in this section just above your post and read what I posted about all of this. You can contact me anytime and I will walk you through the procedure on the disassemble of the carbs. But first before you do anything get a can of carb cleaner and spray it under the carbs while it's running. It the RPMs raise around 100 to 300 RPMs then you found your problem!!!. Get in touch with me after that................Allan

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I took the carbs out last winter when I went through the bike. They looked good with little varnish. They were cleaned, reassembled, and synchronized. There was a slight hesitation but the bike performed well through all rpm's. I should have put the kit in then, but was not sure how well the bike would run since it had been sitting for a few years.
There are no other problems at all with the bike other than a little sloppiness in the steering forks. I will address that in the long Ohio winter.
I decided to take the Tupperware off the front and check the vacuum hoses. Age is a factor.
Will keep you informed. Thanks for your help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.