Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I think I got a little crap from a failing hose in a slow-speed jet. Not too serious a problem. But... when I pulled the slides out, 3 out of 4 of the diaphragms are cracked!

Lots of money for an out-of-work biker. But what's a boy to do? I pulled out a credit card and ponied up the four bills. Uh, Oh, the dealer called and said he can't get them from Honda. They are no longer available.

Anybody else having this problem, and how are you dealing with it?

Anybody know of an after-market source?

I also found The pre-formed fuel lines are no longer available. AnotherBIG problem.
:?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The preformed fuel lines aren't as serious a problem, you can use pieces of bent aluminum tubing with bulk fuel line connector pieces or just bulk fuel line from an auto parts store. The diaphragms for the 1200 are another matter. You could try Crescent Moon Cycles, Frenchy parts out bikes and often has parts like that available. I've wondered how a set of 1100 carbs would work on a 1200. The 1100s don't have a diaphragm on the slides. They do have four diaphragms, one to each carb for the air cut off valves but those don't fail often and they are still available. Since the displacement of the two engines is so close to the same I'd think a set of 1100 carbs would work well, might need some jetting adjustments but should do the job.

Crescent Moon Cycles

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

And the forum classifides might have that part up for sale!

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I used a thin application of Liquid Tape on both sides of the diaphram on the Virago I used to have. I bought the Liquid Tape at Wal-Mart.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
...I've wondered how a set of 1100 carbs would work on a 1200. .....
Hi Paul.. I am not sure, but I think that the rack width is different for the 1100 and 1200... (since the stroke is a little more and the heads are moved out.. ) could be the same, but I would want to check.. Jim

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yeah I think it's a bit wider too but don't know if it's in the runners or the plenum width. Anyone know if the carb throat diameter is the same?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Actually, I'm trying to keep the bike stock as a rock.

Getting those 90 degree bends in the hose is going to be a BIG problem.

In this picture, the bike is such a mess because it was taken last summer. (Too hot in AZ to clean a bike.) But with about 230,000 miles on the clock.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.