Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So I've been fighting a weird problem for a few months now. When I hit 50-70 mph, and tried to cruise there, the bike would fall flat on her face. Checked fuel filter (not bad, but replaced), air filter (not bad, but replaced). Checked fuel flow rate (good), all fuses (good), ECU checked out. Bit the bullet, rebuilt the carbs....NONE of this helped. Irritated, I took the bike to the local Honda shop. They recommended carb rebuild; I told them it had been done, but okay, they are the pro's. Rebuilt carbs....no help. Replaced sliders, fuel petcock, solenoids, YOU NAME IT!!! No fix......

So, (and here's the STRANGE part), I'm talking everything over with them (they now had the bike for over 2 weeks), and I mentioned that the silver part of the attached pic had fallen off right before it started running bad, and that I had to epoxy it, or find a new one...That got the Supervisor thinkin...He got one off a bike they had in the back....and.....ready??? fixed the problem...?!?!?!!? Evidently, there is a diaphram under the silver part of the cover that needs ambient pressure...not vacuum, or high pressure...without the cover, it was freakin the solenoids out...

Anyway, just thought I'd pass it along!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
imported post

Man thats wild !!!! Glad you found the problem and thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

I hope you send the dealer a bill for the diagnostics they did for you!

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

So what are you saying? It needs the chrome carb covers on to run correctly?

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Well, strangely enough, that's what I'm saying. Take it off, runs like crap, leave it on, runs okay....hhmmm, wonder if anyone would do a test run...you know, take their cover off (left side) take her for a spin, and see how she runs. Just to verify that I don't have something else wrong?

Mike

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I would love to try, but we have 6" of snow on the roads.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Interesting, but I tried it for a short ride and it didn't make any difference. It might be that yours is overly sensitive or has some kind of leak.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Interesting, but I tried it for a short ride and it didn't make any difference. It might be that yours is overly sensitive or has some kind of leak.
I think it might be the quality of the chrome that does the trick ,Exavid you would only have the cheap stuff on ,so you would not notice a difference ...NOW if you had the good chrome on then you would notice a lot of difference :D:D,,

I am only joking in case you all go out and buy expensive chrome :D:D

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Exavid, I 'preciate the effort. Guess I gotta get in there and see why mine is so sensitive....Maybe it IS the chrome...lol

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

wexy wrote:
exavid wrote:
I think it might be the quality of the chrome that does the trick ,Exavid you would only have the cheap stuff on ,so you would not notice a difference ...NOW if you had the good chrome on then you would notice a lot of difference :D:D
I don't like chrome all that much, looking at it reminds me for two reasons that my hair is pretty well gone. First is the mirror effect which has never been popular with me to look at and then there's that 'chrome dome' crack...:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Yours has a diaphragm under the silver part of the cover? I can’t seem to find a diaphragm, maybe the California models are diaphragm free.

"6" of snow on the roads" crap mikef where in the USA do you live? That's ugly riding wheather!

·
Ignoramus Primus
303 Posts
imported post

Sorry, I'm not buying it. :pThose covers do not fit tight enough to create any kind of vacuum. It is absolute coincidence that the bike decided to start runningfine - OR they finally found the real problem and fixed it but were too embarrassed to admit it so they made up this bogus excuse.

If it starts acting up again, you might be experiencing a weak fuel pump. They pump fine when they are cold but after running a while, the fuel pressure and flow drop off and the bike stumbles at higher speeds/load.

Keep this link handy in casethe problem should reappear:

http://www.berrysweb.com/1500_fuel_pump.htm

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
imported post

Tried it an rode for over 60 miles with no issues!!!

Sounds like that dealer is full of................

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't doubt that something like that could happen. At highway speed having the plastic cover off could make significant pressure changes inside the fairing. If there was a cracked hose or fitting that could affect something like the intake snorklel valve that routes warm air into the airbox and is activated by vacuum applied to it's operating diaphragm.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Okay, think I may have found it....in the service manual, page 4-60, it talks about an 'evap cav' (carb air vent contro valve). It mentions that to test part of the system, apply pressure to the air vent, and that will open up # 6, and # 10. If the chrome piece isn't there, wouldn't it be possible that 50 mph wind could simulate this pressure?
Whatchall think?

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I was just thinking that the air flowing either through the motor area or under the bike would have either a whole bunch more, or a whole bunch less (vacuum) in an area around a sensor/vacuum line/something that may be sensitive to changes. And by removing that chrome piece either pulled air away from rapidly, or forced air into the sensitive part. Just curious. I am new to wings so dont listen to me too much. What I would do is if it is truly fixed, run 20-30 miles with it on, come back, run the same 20-30 miles with it off and see if there is any difference. I'd try to do it the same day too, so temperature, winds, barometric pressure, etc. are close to the same.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.