Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok so Bike is running beautifully. I removed the carbs 6 times to repair a flat spot when cracking to wide open throttle.

That is solved bike runs awesome and at 75mph I was able to get 36.8 mpg. I am sure carbs are super clean, Synch is dead on just as I left it 2k miles ago.

I have a surge at idle which will raise abouit 900rpm . I have a little hesitation when rolling on the throttle and I have an after burn popping on decel. Plugs are good , not rich or lean.

is this just another vacuum issue ? is this the issue that the 1500 s are known for and repaird with larger jets?

It is not bothering all too much i would just like to have the bike perfect.

Oh and the cruise isnt setting speed either. I will be doing a systematic check on that soon.
 

·
It aint rocket science
Joined
·
3,822 Posts
imported post

Surging speed at idle is a lean condition usually caused by a vacuum leak or plugged carbs. The cruise uses vacuum to operate so I would be leaning towards a leak.

JD
 

·
It aint rocket science
Joined
·
3,822 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
is this the issue that the 1500 s are known for and repaird with larger jets?
The larger jet issue was for hesitation from idle on the 88-89.

JD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,791 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
...I have an after burn popping on decel...
> Check for loose or missing chrome nuts on the exhaust manifolds... If present, then you probably have an exhaust leak, which will cause that same popping on decel.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
imported post

A low mileage VTX would solve that problem.,,,
 

·
It aint rocket science
Joined
·
3,822 Posts
imported post

The cruise vacuum source pn an 88 is picked up at the #4 intake (left side) and goes forward to a vacuum reserve tank by the horn. Then back to cruise valve and on to actuator on left side of bike. The circled item is the cruise valve filter, the actuator is below with the red-orange hose.

JD

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,447 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
...... I have a little hesitation when rolling on the throttle.......... is this the issue that the 1500 s are known for and repaird with larger jets?.....
Only the early 1500s (88/89s) tend to have the hesitation off idle, and not all all of them have had the 'repair' from Honda.What year is your bike? I did the upgrade on my 88, and yes, larger jets are the main part of that.



I agree, there is a strong chance of vacuum lines being at least part of your issues. Also check your sub-air filter. Mine was as good as gone....





Bill
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Mine is an 89 .I think I should edit my signature with the year.But there is no off idle hesitation,.My problem is a flat spot when cracking the throttle quick.Bike runs well otherwise.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Big Cahuna wrote:
A low mileage VTX would solve that problem.,,,
.
no enough vacuum lines on the vtx..What would I do on my spare time with that bike?
 

·
Honda Guru
Joined
·
2,013 Posts
imported post

The hesitation you describe could be the accelerator pump. It's designed to pump and 2 different rates…. more fuel when cold, less fuel when warm. You can't see the difference but it's supposed to be there. Replacing the pump might be the answer. You're experienced with removing the carbs… that's what you have to do. Also… while you've got it apart you'll want to replace the orings on the connector tube.

Looking at the OEM parts list the accelerator pump has been discontinued. The saving grace is that K&L Supply has a replacement pump kit.
P/N 18-2836.
 

·
It aint rocket science
Joined
·
3,822 Posts
imported post

rayworx wrote:
The hesitation you describe could be the accelerator pump. It's designed to pump and 2 different rates…. more fuel when cold, less fuel when warm. You can't see the difference but it's supposed to be there. Replacing the pump might be the answer. You're experienced with removing the carbs… that's what you have to do. Also… while you've got it apart you'll want to replace the orings on the connector tube.

Looking at the OEM parts list the accelerator pump has been discontinued. The saving grace is that K&L Supply has a replacement pump kit.
P/N 18-2836.
+1

Randakk has the pump.

JD
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top