Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just rebuilt my carbs this weekend with one of Randakks kits. Very nice quality kit and a good price.
Includes fuel filter and air cut rebuild kit.

However, here's my issues

1. Bike has a slight miss/sputter at idle. It accelerates fine.

2. Excessive idle speed. I tried backing down idle screw, but still doesn't drop below 1400 rpm.

Any carb Gurus out there?

Thanks
Doug77

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

You might have the ignition timing advanced slightly. Do you have points or electronic ignition? Also, check for vacuum leaks around carbs. Also, check to make sure your throttle cable/choke isn't binding. Most likely it is ignition or vacuum if carb adjustment doesn't affect idle.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
imported post

I just rebuilt mine this weekendwith the same kit. Ain't it a great piece?

Anyway I didn't have your problem but I agree you shouldlook for vacuum leaks first. I use ether as it gives a better indication. It's real easy to cause a leak and that is the most likely culprit if you can't stall it with the idle stop screw.

I'm assuming you've already check to make sure the throttle cable is not stuck or too tight.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

I'll be tearing down the carbs on my 1200 soon where did you get those kits? How much $and what is in them? I can get them through JC Whitney but the more choices the better!;)

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

My ignition is points type, trying to keep it OEM.

How do you tell if vacuum leak around the carbs?

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

Make sure your points open/close with the right timing, as per manual. Easiest to check with a test light. To check for vacuum leaks, spray wd-40 around the carbs -- tops, vacuum hoses, intake runners (top/bottom). If the idle changes, you have a leak there, from a worn o-ring or the connection being loose.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
imported post

Yep that's the way but you get WD40 all over everything. I use carb cleaner in a pinch but ether works great. You can find the smallest of leaks and it drys completely.

The most likely culprit I would think is an intake elbow. You could have left out one of the orings at the head. Check your clamps for the elbows at the carb. If you forgot to tighten one you'll be leaking there.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

Carb cleaner works, just be careful with the intake runner gaskets -- carb cleaner eats rubber. I ruined a float bowl gasket with the stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.