Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Honda GL1200 Aspencade, 1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello new to the forum here. I came into possession of an 84 GL1200A and the motor was out and the carbs off. Doing a little tinkering I took the carbs apart and noticed the jets are corroded and definitely need to be replaced. What are the best jet sizes to put back in? Anything else I should do while doing the rebuild besides a good cleaning with carb cleaner? Also I have never done a rebuild before or worked on engines much so this is a learning opportunity. I just want to make sure when putting the new jets, gaskets, etc, do I snug the jets down hand tight or is there a specific number of turns that each one should get? Thanks for answering the questions of a newbie! Also when removing the black diaghpragms with the needle they were pretty dry but not cracked. Any way to rehydrate those or need do I need to rehydrate those to get them to fit correctly? There was a red sticky material between the carb itself and the rubber diaphragms upon removal, not sure why it is there or if it should be there.Thank you!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,268 Posts
Main thing is to get OEM parts. Aftermarket stuff just doesn't work well in the GL12 carbs.

Also, do the cleaning right. There are some tiny little air channels that get blocked and are very hard to clean. You should get more suggestions here, very soon.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

·
Administrator
27,754 Posts
If your jets are just covered with green stuff clean them otherwise get only those from Honda OEM. The jets are just snugged down, the only ones with a setting are the idle mixture screws, set them 3 1/2 turns out. There may be some kind of treatment for the diaphragms, I remember some guy on a radio show advertised something but I can't remember what it was.

·
1,807 Posts
If your jets are just covered with green stuff clean them otherwise get only those from Honda OEM. The jets are just snugged down, the only ones with a setting are the idle mixture screws, set them 3 1/2 turns out. There may be some kind of treatment for the diaphragms, I remember some guy on a radio show advertised something but I can't remember what it was.
I've read how to bring new life to these rubber membranes, and I remember thinking - "good trick, you have to try it next time"
The problem is just that I can not remember at all what this trick was:( (maybe something to boil them in a pot of water, but I take NO responsibility for this).
Ps: A carburetor set gets reasonably clean (exterior) after the big program in the dishwasher, - best to do this while your wife is out!

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Hello new to the forum here. I came into possession of an 84 GL1200A and the motor was out and the carbs off. Doing a little tinkering I took the carbs apart and noticed the jets are corroded and definitely need to be replaced. What are the best jet sizes to put back in? Anything else I should do while doing the rebuild besides a good cleaning with carb cleaner? Also I have never done a rebuild before or worked on engines much so this is a learning opportunity. I just want to make sure when putting the new jets, gaskets, etc, do I snug the jets down hand tight or is there a specific number of turns that each one should get? Thanks for answering the questions of a newbie! Also when removing the black diaghpragms with the needle they were pretty dry but not cracked. Any way to rehydrate those or need do I need to rehydrate those to get them to fit correctly? There was a red sticky material between the carb itself and the rubber diaphragms upon removal, not sure why it is there or if it should be there.Thank you!
Randakk's Cycle Shakk® I rebuilt 83 1100 carbs. heated parts up individually in throw away aluminum pan on a gas grill, dunked in carb cleaner rinsed in heated clean water. Good as new except for wear of slides. make sure you takes jets out and do individually. If you don't have the patience get a friend who does. Slow and tedious but worth the time. Comes with a how to book.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Really not hard to do just clean your original jets set the floats at 7.5 mm remove blockage ( if any ) from the air tubes, reinstall make sure your gas level is high enough in the tank ( ask me I know ) better yet a clymer manual as reference would help..

·
Administrator
27,754 Posts
Really not hard to do just clean your original jets set the floats at 7.5 mm remove blockage ( if any ) from the air tubes, reinstall make sure your gas level is high enough in the tank ( ask me I know ) better yet a clymer manual as reference would help..
There is a lot more to clean than the jets. There are passages throughout the carbs that have to be clear.
And better yet a Honda manual, I don't trust clymer.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Agree run carb cleaner thru the passages start by removing all jets including the float bowl pistons, air tubes
Cutoff valves etc, Honda manual where can u find?

·
Registered
1984 Honda GL1200 Aspencade, 1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the tips guys! I have a different running bike that I can ride to scratch the itch so I will definitely take my time going through everything!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts