Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I finally decided to pull the carbs on my 82 GL1100A. I was getting 32 MPG, but the #3 plug coated with black soot. At idle the exhaust fumes literally burned your eyes.

As I suspected the carb float bowls had sludge in the bottom and all parts are coated with gasoline varnish. Something I didn't expect was the float levels not being in accordance with the book. So far two of mine measured 9-10mm. This is a far cry from 15.5mm.Could this be from wear or did someone adjust them wrong:baffled:. Any experts ever seen this?

Could someone please send me a picture or explain exactly where to measure the float levels, so I can be sure I'm doing it correctly.

My last question is how do I know if I should replace the float valves? Or should I just do it.

I forgot to mention, as a result of the high float levels, all of the air cut-off diaphragms have been eaten away by gasoline. AsI understand,with them not working this further enrichens the mixture.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

Float valves are easy to check, just pour some fuel into the input hose and with th ebowl off push the valve up. If its a goo dvalve no fuel will pass it.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

As far as I know I never seen a carb float change level during it life. The only way I know that a float becomes out of wack is...

Human Interferance! - Someone tampered with them or did a poor job of setting them.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Hang in there cardkev... Many gurus work all day and some all night.. It may take a day or two to get you the information...

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Hi cardkev. The float levels are measured from tha flat face where the float bowl mates onto. Is there a chance you bent the tabs yourself, because the only way the float arms can bend is by someone doing it.

DJ is right about the float needles, if they hold the fuel back when they are seated then why change them , unless the tip is starting to wear and you want to play safe by fitting new ones.

I'm not sure if petrol ruins the diaphrams or they just rot from old age, but they will make a difference when to the running of the engine.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

No,I didn't bend them, I removed everything carefully. What's funny is all the floats are set the same. Based on your description, I am measuring them correctly. I can only assume that someone before me set them wrong.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Ok, I just noticed that the float needle is spring loaded on the end. So, do I measure the 15.5mm (GL1100) with the the float compressing the spring or not. It appears who ever did it before measured with the spring compressed.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
imported post

Measure float level WITHOUT the spring compressed. I used to set the carbs on the bench (prop it with a roll of duct tape or similar) such that gravity JUST caused the float to fall toward the carb - NOT the full weight of the float. Anyway, you want to measure/set the float level without the spring compressed. If I remember right, you're measuring to the surface of the carb body where the gasket rests, but with that gasket removed, NOT to that little 1- 1.5mm flange. Funny - I went thru several 1000 - 1200's and really got the hang of it - now I'm learning everything over again on my 1500. Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.