Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I hear a lot of talk here about rebuilding carbs. I have an '85 gl1200 and I am pretty sure that it needs the carbs rebuilt. It will not idle unless the choke is slightly on. If I turn the choke off, it idles too low and dies. This happens even when it is warm. I called a local honda dealer and they told me that it would cost around $600 to rebuild. I was wondering how difficult it was and how much the rebuild kits cost? Also, does everything come in the kit or is there other stuff I need to buy?I am new at this so any and all advice is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

what if you increase the idle using the idle screw adjustment??... i mean. it should be idling at 900-1000 rpms. if the idle screw is all the way out. it will die even when warm cuz the idle crew is out of range and the throttle butterflie will close. on my 1200 the idle screw loses a couple of turns in a couple of months. due to vibration and when it is below 500 i set it again. the spring is not working as it should i only have to set the idle back to 1000 rpms and it wont die.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

If it runs normally otherwise, I'd suspect it just needs an adjustment/carb synch. Then again the slow jets might be clogged.

Anyway, a carb rebuild is not for the feint of heart. The Randakk kit has 70+ pieces and the optional instructions are pretty spotty. It took me about 3 days to get everything put together properly, and even then I had to take the whole thing off again to adjust the float levels. There were so many microscopic o-rings I had to check everything about 4 times just to be sure I got everything in it's place.

Mike mentioned you can send the carb rack off to a place that ultrasonically cleans everything and replaces what's needed for ~$400. Not bad considering you just send it off and get it back.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Not hard but tedious and attention to detail is a must. Randakk's kit is the best $200, but you can get others for around $60, not as complete. Most all of the jets can be cleaned and reused. It's the o rings and the float needles that must/should be replaced if you've got the carbs open.

Since your issue is only a slow jet issue; assuming it isn't a setting the idle issue as stated above, and not leaking float needles or plenum o rings..you might get away with a cleaning and not a rebuild. But most feel if you've them apart...rebuild with good parts IE Randkakk's.

So it's up to you.

OOPS..you have a 1200, don't know if Randakk is selling kits for the 1200's

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the information. THe guy that I got the bike from told me that he had it checked out and the carbs needed cleaned. I assumed that he was telling the truth because that is what it sounded like to me also. After reading your replies, I realized that I didn't check the obvious. I adjusted the idle screw and this seems to have worked. Bike running like new again. Thanks for not letting me forget the small stuff (and saving me a bunch of money).

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
imported post

If you are good to go, it is time to start the Sea Foam especially if you aren't a daily rider.dj

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
imported post

id go with the sea foam to start and also on mine i removed the idle screw and spring put a drop of blue loctite on the threads and reinstalled the spring and screw took it for a blast to get it hot and reset the idle it seems to be ok so far havnt ridn a whole lot but after reading some posts i did it as a preventive measure us blue only as it is removable the red is not removable

just my 1/2 cent:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.