10,276 Posts
imported post

Sweet Home, Oregon????

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yep, its about an hour and a half from Eugene. Beautiful area, Foster Lake nearby. The road that runs out of Sweet Home, up into the Cascades, is a great wingin road.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,789 Posts
imported post

The price for a "quality" rebuild kit is more than that. How can he possibly rebuild these carbs for $185.???

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Maybe UBarW should ride over there and check him out. :action:

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Seems interesting. Wonder if he's ever done carbs for a big bike?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The rebuild sounds like a corner or two is being cut, notice that he doesn't replace the air cut off valves. Those little gems run around $80 for an 1100. I think I'd rather use someone like Pistol Pete who specializes mostly in 'Wings. He's going to charge twice as much but you'd be guaranteed a good rebuild.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Speaking out as a person who has gotten screwed by a carb rebuilder, I agree that $185 is too cheap.

Who wants to be the guinea pig?

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Well, I'll stick with quality, if I was going to have carb work done by someone other than myself, I would go with Andrew at Classic cycle in Texas. I've seen his work, and it is first rate. Also, he is a member here on the forum. $185 is extremely cheap,I doubt I could do my own on the 1100 with good parts that cheap. Sounds like the same guy that screwed over another member on the forum a while back. He sent his carbs in and never got them back as I recall.:shock:

Gene:waving:

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Lo barato sale caro...

(and I also note that the necessary parts cost about what he is charging for the whole job..)

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

After you ride up and check it out................

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

UBarW wrote:
Well, maybe I should edit out the link, eh?
Doesn't hurt to leave it.. Its an ebay listing.. it will be gone in 30 days or less anyway... and all our comments are still here..

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
imported post

The fellows feedback seems positive enough- mostly happy customers. However, I tend to agree that carbs are not the place to skimp.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It doesn't nessarily follow that the cheap carb rebuild wouldn't do the job. If your air cut off valves and float valves were okay the remaining parts to do the job aren't terribly expensive especially if low priced gaskets and such are used. That doesn't mean they won't work either. The only problem I see is that you'd probably get back carbs that would work but might not work as long as they would if you got a first rate rebuild. Like anything else it depends on what you can afford. "Affording" is why most of us got into repairing our own stuff anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.