Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I am going to have have my carbs rebuilt on my 82 GL1100I. I am not brave enough to do it myself so I am thinking about going through a rebuilder & doing the buy a rebuilt & core exchange thing. Anybody have experience doing this & was it worth the money to get a profesional rebuilt carb? Anybody know of a good cheap rebuilder.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

I had a local Honda dealer estimate the cost for removing and cleaning the carbs on my 85 asp......$400.00.. If rebuild kits were to be installed in all 4 carbs.....#900.00.

That is a lot of motivation for me to do it myself. I'm planning on starting on it this weekend and i feel pretty confident with the advice i've got from this site.

At least i will know what was and wasn't done to my carbs....

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

I am in the process of doing it myself. I ran into some trouble along the way. I broke off a pilot screw and tried to drill it out. Looks like it will stay put. I also broke off a float bowl screw. I drilled it out, but got ugly with it..I put a new screw in. clamped it with a c clamp, and gooped some JBweld to support the screw, let it cure...then took the c clamp off...it holds.....

Then I went through each carb and put in new parts from a rebuild kit...new jets and needle and seat...I also replaced all 4 air cut valves, 83 model....I hope to get it back together soon...

Also in the process...I broke the seal on the cooling crossoverpipe...so i need to replace those o rings now...

other than that...piece of cake....now I see why someone would charge you at least $400.

Good luck with it...

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Earl, this is a time consuming job but is really not that difficult if you take your time and follow the instructions in your manual. I recommend the Honda manual since it is all I have ever used but many folks like the Clymer version. Get your parts before you start, rebuild kit, bowl seal ring if not included in the kit, new seal rings for the intake tubes, air cut off valves, accellerator pump, and several cans of cleaner. Take your time and take pictures.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Hi Earl. The lads are right, you can do this yourself. The big problems you might encounter are stuck seats, but this is rare enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.