Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

If I wanted to tackle a carb rebuild on a 1100, and bought the kit from Randakks with their video, what skill level would I need? I:ve changed starters, done fork seals, rad replacements and such.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
imported post

From perusing his site and the info I glean from his stuff I'd guess you're gtg. The real question is, do you have What it'll take to see it done start to finish, if you run into trouble can you still afford to send it off, and do you have all the necessary tools and equipment? What you've done before is a little on the simple side of R&R but that being said, it isn't rocket science.
And take this with a grain of salt. Personally I couldn't fathom sending something off to someone else to do, so I may be a bit biased and am extremely mechanically inclined/equipped.

One tip to make it foolproof as possible, even with his guide. Take as many digital pictures as you can as you go along. Makes it hard to end up someplace you don't know how you got there.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

Yes let me know how this goes. I may be doing the 84 this year.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,791 Posts
imported post

If you have the video you can do the rebuild. Also, plenty of help here. Go for it.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I've done it several times, the first several without the aid of a video or manual.

My only advice lieutenant for first timers would be.....
Plan on doing it from start to finish in ONE DAY.
Don't start it and come back to it a few days later.
Have all your tools and supplies ready and do it.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Go fot it, you know you want to.

Think of it ....as a learning experience. It may cost you...but ...

I have met some people that really despise mechanics. Hopefully, you willlearn, learn from your mistakes, learn to do it correctly, and become an expert DIY.

Next time, you could say: been there, done that, and I ...would or would never... do that again.

Think of how much it would cost in the shop. That should give a little piece of mind.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

Do one carb at a time, don't mix up all the components from each crab, photo's are great especially when you are uncertain which way a cable was fitted or which direction it was mounted. As the carbs are on a manifold take shots of the linkages and hose positions. You may find for instance that the left hand carbs have more muck in them than the right hand carbs. Randakk sells kits for individual carbs so if you are ordering from him make sure you order 4 sets and also contact him with the exact model 'Wing before ordering the parts as there are sometimes subtle differences between individual models.
Carbs are like other components, you just have 4 of them to play with.

I once got a CX500 in to play with. It was flooding badly and fuel consumption was lousy. It turned out that the previous tuner had mixed up the jets and fitted the wrong air filter. Once eveything was repositioned and the correct Honda filter was fitted and the carbs balanced the CX ran sweet as a nut.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

If you have attention to detail and know how to read instructions pretty good you're good to go.

Couple of tips.

There are LOTS of little o-rings in the carbs. Be sure you replace all of them, don't leave any out. Some look very similar to each other, get a magnifying glass if you have to.

Get a really good carb cleaner from NAPA or Valvoline. That junk needs to be literally running out of the carbs. Get all the little passages. Wear safety glasses...carb cleaner in the eyes is like getting maced.The stuff in the picture worked very well.

Mine had silt/rust clogging the microfilter going to the bowls. Get all that junk out.

Take your time. Ask questions on here, take pictures. It's still relatively fresh in my mind what has to be done. Mark each carb with a number according to the instructions.

Before you put everything back together, MAKE SURE those carb floats are at the right level. One of mine was way off and caused a bad miss/rich cylinder. Had to take the whole damn thing back out again.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.