Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am a recent owner of a 79 GL1000. I have owned many 70's CB750s and actually specialize in their restoration and customization. I bought the GL to have a rider while I am doing a nut&bolt_up restoration on my 71 CB. I bought it reluctantly fearing I may love it more than my 750s. Well, not more but maybe as much but differently. I want to keep the essence of the 1000 but have some of the options of the 1200 but there is little room in the 1000 for the added components. One solution I am thinking of is to swap carbs with a 1200 lowering the total height of the air cleaner and then using a shelter from a 1200 to get rid of the shelter frame that actually restricts space. I do not see the Hop-Up parts similar to what I am used to on the 750s. Any info will be appreciated and would also appreciate knowing if there are places to find hi performance engine parts.

Thanks, Rob

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

Since you're talking about removing the 1000 carbs you'll still have them on hand in case something don't work with the 1200 carbs. You can always go back to them if you choose. The only problem I can see would be the need to possibly rejet the 1200 carbs, but you wouldn't know that until you try it. Swap the carbs and try it out before you get out the plasma burner. Interesting modification.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

I don't know if you have heard of Naked Goldwing Club, http://www.ngwclub.com/ but they have a forum area dedicated to modifications like you describe.

Some people have done mods like installing single or dual webber carbs instead of the 4-pack, but it is usually to make the cleaning/tuning easier. I have also seen superchargers and nitrous added. Most of the stuff is up to you to mod, as many of the Goldwing crowd are in it for the long rides and high miles as opposed to the sport bike crowd.

Good luck and show us pictures!

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

To start with the 1200 has 30mm carbs and the 1000 has 31mm so you can expect a decease in performance. Secondly the 1000 is a shorter bike than the 1200 and I suspect that trying to make the 1200 shelter work on the 1000 would be tough. What kind of "components" do you want to add? The 1000 was designed to be a sport bike well the 1200 was designed to be a touring bike and the carb and cam tuning reflect the difference.

My B-Girl thread has some low buck performance modification ideas but they are unproven as yet.

Take lots of pictures of what you do, we are all interested in what you come up with.

Steve

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
imported post

the 1200 carbs and intakes are not going to just bolt up ...theres a 3/8 difference in width at least ....the intake runner is much narrower than the 1000 head openings...and there is all the underside vacume and exhast hook ups...the unknowns are huge here ....but the carbs on the 1200 are very close to that on 78-79 oldwings and that would be a closer match than 75-77 oldwings

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

I know one gl1000 owner who fitted gl1100 carbs into his 77. They fitted and it solved some idling issues he had, but overall the performance wasn't as good.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks all for the input. I have decided to go with the 1100 carfbs and use the 1100 shelter so I have room for my mods. I will post again as progress is made. It will be a bit as I always have more projects than time.

Rob

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Did not mean to ignor you, I am new to forums in general.

Anyhow...Thanks for the input. I have decided to go with the 1100 carfbs and use the 1100 shelter so I have room for my mods. I will post again as progress is made. It will be a bit as I always have more projects than time.

Rob :action:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.