Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi all, well, i'm back trying to smooth out the 76. bike ran fairly well but not the crisp throttle responce i expect. hooked up my compression guage and all cylndr's were coming in at 70. I know this cannot be right because i dont think it would run at all on that low of a reading. the bike runs well even up to high speed. if this is possible would timing be more what i should look at or could all 4 pistons need overhauled?

also hooked up my new morgan sync tool and i could get all carbs pretty close but the reading on #2-4 i cannot seam to quite balance. the closer i get it the higher it makes the idle take off by itself. how can i get it to idle down when theres no more idle adj left? i know this is alot to ask at one time but these all come into play at the same time. i have rechecked the valves and all are at .004. thanks for any in-put you might have.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

First you need to make sure you are doing the procedure the same. All 4 plugs out, Choke closed, throttle wide open. With a fully charged battery and good starter. Factory spec is 171 psi. All of those are critical and if not done will result in poor readings.

Next synching is a repeat process..get it close and start over again..if you can't get it close with a few lbs..at an idle below 1000 you may have a air/vacuum leak someplace..

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

thanks guys. i took for a ride and rechecked after warm up. all cyl are now about 110. the plugs for 1&3 are white. can my timing be off. that would indicate too hot on that side, would that also throw off my compression readings? The ol girl may just be to worn out. i'm going to run out and drop a little oil into the cyl's and recheck to see if the readings go up. thanks

·
Administrator
26,143 Posts
imported post

Try synching 3&4 first for preliminary and readjust the idle as you go then go back and do 1&3 then 2&4 then 3&4 and see if that solves the idle speed issue. Don't worry much about the compression and spark plug readings until you have ran it a while.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

thanks, i'll give that a try. i did squart a little oil into the cyls and there was no change in readings. all about 110.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,650 Posts
imported post

Just an idle thought.

When you did the compression test, did you make sure the throttle was wide open, and all the spark plugs removed?

RPM during cranking has a huge effect on the actual compression readings.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hi. Yup, wide open with plugs out. seems i can only get 110 at best. i also kept a charger on during test so i had good cranking power. bike shows 34k miles, but most likely 134k. maybe this is why? thanks-wayne

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,650 Posts
imported post

If they are all about the same, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you have good power and she ain't smoking a bunch, I would say just Wing On!

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Have you checked you valve setting(and timing).if they are off compression with be off too..if that is OK than maybe a valve job will fix your issue 110 is very low but Goldwings will run on that just not with the performance they are capable of...

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

thanks very much. i think i will try and put a 100 or so miles on it and then decide on valves and rings, thanks again every one,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.