Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I want to buy a gauge to sync carbs on my 85 Aspencade..what is it I ask for at the NAPA or parts store? Are they a simply used tool?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The most inexpensive way to go zonk is to buy a pair of vacuum gauges from Harbor Freight, cost you around $20 for the pair.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks..just a regular set of vacumn gauges oor am I looking for something specific in them?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Just plain ordinary vacuum gauges like these I got at Harbor Freight for $10 each.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
imported post

zonk3939 wrote:
Thanks..just a regular set of vacumn gauges oor am I looking for something specific in them?
Take a look at these: (top left)

http://www.salocal.com/goldwing/goldwing_tech.htm

You can make them much cheaper yourself, but the difference with a "set" is they have four RESTRICTER VALVES. What the restrictor valves do is close the air down to indepentantly smooth each gauge. Without the restrictors the gauge jumps quite a bit and by using the extra valves you can setttle down the needles to make them much easier to read. I've got this same 4 guage set,sure am glad I've got'em.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You canmake adjustable restrictors by inserting an acquarium needle valve in each of the two vacuum tubes. Then by screwing down the needles you can have as much or as little restriction as you want. The valves are cheap and available at anyplace that sells pet supplies. My synchronizer is made up of those two gauges mounted on a piece of wood (alas I did varnish it) with the needle valves located about six inches below the gauges. Total cost less than $25 and it works fine. When I get it back froma friend who borrowed itI'll post a picture.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Hey Paul, is there any advantage to having 4 gauges instead of just 2 so you could sync all carbs at the same time? I am considering building a sync this winter and was considering using 4 gauges.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Four gauges should speed up the operation some. You'd have to calibrate the gauges before hand by hooking them all up to the same vacuum source to make sure they all read the same, if they didn't a piece of tape with the correction factor on the affected instrument will take care of it. My two gauges read almost exactly the same when tee'd together. I use two since I only have two carbs but will use the two gauge set up when I get ready to set up the carbs on the 1100. Main reason, I'm cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

A 4 gauge set is usually not much more expensive than a dual set and it does make balancing the carbs faster. I wouldn't spend too much money on a set unless you plan on doing a lot of work, a set of gauges will last a lifetime if not abused.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Hey Paul, do you happen to have the Part Number of those gauges? I have been looking for them but cannot seem to locate them on the HF website.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sorry, I just looked but there's no number on them. I found them looking around in the automotive section at one of their stores.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Four gauges should speed up the operation some. You'd have to calibrate the gauges before hand by hooking them all up to the same vacuum source to make sure they all read the same, if they didn't a piece of tape with the correction factor on the affected instrument will take care of it. My two gauges read almost exactly the same when tee'd together. I use two since I only have two carbs but will use the two gauge set up when I get ready to set up the carbs on the 1100. Main reason, I'm cheap.

I have everything except the fittings to screw into the carbs. Where can I get those?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I drilled a hole lengthwise through a screw that fit the intake runner long enough to get five or six threads in the intake and leave enough to get the hose on. If anyone knows of a commercial source of thread in taps, let's hear it!

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

This topic rolls around so often we should make it a 'sticky'. Conclusions drawn are mainly that there are three ways to tackle this:

- the McGyver method, building your own set using aquarium supplies
- regular hardware-store gauges in 2 or 4 flavour
- The Morgan Carbtune, pricey but invaluable to the idle / nervous

I'm with method no.3, but then I didn't have to pay trans-Atlantic postage on mine ;)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I must confess that I like to be a bit on the frugal side. But anyway that works for you is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Hey Paul, I went to my local HArbor Freight and have searched their web site but cannot find the vacuum gauges. Don't know why but I am unable to locate them through HF.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I didn't see them during my last visit either, if I come across them again I'll post the stock number.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

I bought 10 gauges similar to those on ebay, kept 4 sold 6 and got my money back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.