Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to sync carbs on my 89 GL 1500
1. Is the adjustment screws pitched on top of a spring? If so should the adjustment wiggle around a bit?

·
Administrator
26,139 Posts
The screw has a spring on it if that's what you mean and yes it has some "wiggle" to it.

·
Premium Member
6,611 Posts
Where do I hook up my manometer?

How much stuff do I have to take off to get to them?

David
99 1500
Air cleaner housing. I wouldn't worry about it if the response and balance of the engine seems fine. Most 1500's go a lifetime with no adjustment as long as they haven't been disassembled or rebuilt.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a 1976 BMW that requires a tune up every oil change.
the 2012 is set it and forget it.
I need to see it’s right on this Gold Wing.
Thank you for the info.
David

·
Premium Member
6,611 Posts
Carb synchronization on the 1500 is not critical. I can't remember the tolerance that Honda lists in the specs but suffice it to say it is quite forgiving.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
Synching them is pretty easy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the fast replies I was thinking the wiggle in the adjusting screw wasn't normal thanks for the info that that wiggle is normal.

·
Premium Member
6,611 Posts
Im not seeing that adjusting screw. What I see is a screw with almost a slinky spring under it cant get close to take a pic I must be looking the wrong screw?
If you are looking at the front of the carbs where the throttle cable connects that is the wrong side. It is in the back side and opposite end of where the throttle cable connects.

Screenshot (126)_LI.jpg Screenshot (127)_LI.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Amazingly my GL1500 with 150,000+ miles on it has never had the carbs touched or the valves adjusted and runs like a top.

Reactions: limpy45

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,641 Posts
Amazingly my GL1500 with 150,000+ miles on it has never had the carbs touched or the valves adjusted and runs like a top.
that is because you keep it exercised regularly.

·
Registered
230 Posts
GL 1500 has hydraulic valve lifters. Actually the cam does it, just to complex for my mind to understand or explain...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts