Not open for further replies.
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
imported post

Hi, all.

This past summer, when I originally pulled my carbs, I only cleaned them, and reused everything. (What can I say, I was in a hurry to see what I had. The bike was a gift...)

Anyway, winter, 2006. I have pulled the carbs back off and I am now overhauling them. I bought K&L kits (18-2575). I can't find a definitive statement about a particular part that came with the set. I can't even find out what it's called, so for now, I'll call it a secondary jet.

I snapped a picture and drew some lines to illustrate my question. Does this secondary jet replace the device inside the middle tower? The kit device has a screwdriver slot, but the one in the carb has no such slot, so I hesitate to try to get it out.

If I am to replace this device, how do I get the old one out? Otherwise, what is this secondary jet thing that came with the kit? What does it do? Thanks!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
imported post

:? I'd like to refloat a question/problem that is mentioned in my previous post. I still need to know if I should attempt to extract an as yet unidentified jet/orifice from my GL1100 carbs. The previous post has a big ol' picture of the carb tower in question, in which resides this jet/orifice thing.

I haven't gotten any responses from anyone yet and this issue is my current sticking point.

Any response, solution, or referral would be appreciated. I wanta be riding, not fixing...

By the way, I'm not entirely clear if everyone can see the picture in the post. I've set up a wimpy little website with a couple of pictures of the carb in question. The address is

http://webpages.charter.net/dtorq/index.htm

again, thanks to you all.

·
Premium Member
12,784 Posts
imported post

Ranamadad... It's been 6 months since I was into my 83 carbs . So I go the the books . As i see your picture and whats shown in the Clymer and Honda manuals,Thefirst tower to the left of the float valve assy is the MAIN JET and NEEDLE JET HOLDER . It appears from your picture you have removed the MAIN JET from the NEEDLE JET HOLDER . You now need to remove the NEEDLE JET HOLDER ,then tilt the carb body to the side and the NEEDLE JET should slide out . I believe the part you are showing with the RED arrow is the NEEDLE JET. IT is the JET that the NEEDLE on the Vacuum piston slides into . The NEEDLE JET HOLDER has what appears to be a hex and should unscrew . I hope this helps solve the mystry for you .

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
imported post

you seem to be be doing all things correctly here for a response. i wish that i could offer you one. the best i could possibly do is photograph the 1100 carb i have started to dismantle in my basement for comparison purposes. can't do that until friday at the earliest, though.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
imported post

Thanks for the responses...

I have removed the needle jet seat, as you can see. the Main needle came out with the vacuum piston leaving what i understand the be the Needle Valve Holder. It was a little tight so I backed off removing it until I got some clarity and encouragement. If I read you right, OneWing, unscrewing the Hex-headed Needle Valve Holder should allow the "needle jet" in the adjacent tower to come out? Is that thing pressed in or screwed in? There is no screwdriver slot to use to screw it out of the middle tower. The presumed replacement part for the "needle jet" that came with my kits has a screwdriver slot for tightening and untightening.

Anyway, that mostly makes some sense but the next statement you made confuses me. "IT is the JET that the NEEDLE on the Vacuum piston slides into", is what you wrote. On my carbs, the big needle valve (that is set into the Vacuum Piston) slides into the Needle valve holder and engages the needle valve seat on the rightmost tower-NOT the center tower. In my picture, the main needle rests in the assembly pointed to by the white arrow to the right of the red arrow.

·
Premium Member
12,784 Posts
imported post

MAIN JET has the screwdriver slot .NEEDLE JET HOLDER has the hex for removal .NEEDLE JET is the part you have the red arrow pointing to . All 3 of these parts go in the same tower closest to the float valve . If you remove the the part with the HEX , then tilt carb body to side the NEEDLE JET should come out easily. If it doesn't fall out ,then take something and push gently on the tip of the NEEDLE JET where it protrudes slightly out the top side of carb body ( where the vacuum piston needle goes into the NEEDLE JET ) I use a wooden dowel to push with , a new wooden pencil ( before its sharpend ) would work well to push with .

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Ranamadad wrote:
Will the sync do all they say it will and boost my gas mileage and give back some power?
Nope, there are much more serious problems to fix before synch - that is a last, fine tuning step. The mileage should be more like 35 - 40. The carbs are either way rich, or ignition is bad, or both.
When you reassemble the carbs, coarse - synch the carbs by adjusting the idle screw out a bit (or leaving it where it was) and gauging the opening in the throttle plates with a drill bit (I think around 0.060" is close). Set them all the same with as little change as possible. Then once you are absolutely sure the carbs are right, and the fuel volumes in the bowls are right, and then have gone through the electrical system and proven its good, then broken the engine in for 1000 miles, then you can worry about synch.

Until its put back close to "in tune" the synch will wander around and do weird things.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Ranamadad wrote:
I still need to know if I should attempt to extract an as yet unidentified jet/orifice from my GL1100 carbs. The previous post has a big ol' picture of the carb tower in question, in which resides this jet/orifice thing.
Thats probably pressed in and probably known as an "emulsifier" which mixes air with the fuel from the main jet. Probably a brass tube w/, hole thru center for the main needle and holes around the diameter for air bleeds. Unless you can clearly see that it has a hex, and unscrews, DONT try to remove it, many carbs have pressed in parts like this that are not replaceable. Just make sure its clean, a clogged emulsifier will send fuel mileage down the crapper.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
imported post

I did pull the hex-headed Needle valve holder today.

With the clarification you guys, OneWing and Dave, have made, I get what I wasn't getting. To sum up-In the rightmost tower, closest to the float valve, are 3 items-the Needle jet seat/main jet, the Needle jet holder, and the Needle Jet. In the adjacent tower is a device now described as an "emulsifier" and shouldn't be extracted. In the tertiary tower, there is nothing.

The "emulsifier" will not be extracted...

I have determined that the center superflous device I have laid out in the picture must have it's existence validated in another type of carburetor and not mine. It came with the K&L kits I bought but I'm sure I just don't need it in my carbs.

I am confident, now, that the carb rebuilds can begin in earnest with the advice and clarity you guys have offered. Thanks.

By the way, do you guys know that Clymer manuals suck? I thought you might. :grinner:

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.