Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

WENT TO SYNC THE CARBS TODAY. I HAVE A SET OF 4 GAUGES THAT I GOT WITH THE PURCHASE OF MY FIRST GL 1100 NEVER USED THEM NEW IN BOX. THE CARBS WERE ALMOST PERFECT. #4 WAS A LITTLE SLOW ON THE REV. MY QUESTION IS I HAVE ABOUT 5 INCH #S OF VACUUM, WHAT SHOULD THE READING BE? THIS CARB SYNCHRONIZER SET HAS THE 5 IN THE RED (LATE VALVE TIMING OR LEAK AT INTAKE). I RUN THE TEST WITH THE RPM'S AT 1000. THE GAUGE HAS NORMAL AT 18-22. JUST WANT TO SEE WHERE TO GO ONHERE, WHAT IS CAUSING THE LOW READING (OR WHAT SHOULD IT READ). THANX IN ADVANCE
81 GL1100I, 42K ROUGH IDLE, SOME SURGE ON DEC. WHEN UP SHIFTING

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I don't have any answers, but I do have a couple of requests. Can you please add your location in your profile, and use lower case letters when posting? Really hard on the eyes, and in the computer world, suggests you are shouting.

Thanks,
Mike :waving:

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Carburetor Vaccum 1980 -1981 within 50mm (2in) HG on all carbs. (From Manual Page 23 Section 3-2)

Hope this helps!

Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

bsldallas wrote:
WENT TO SYNC THE CARBS TODAY. I HAVE A SET OF 4 GAUGES THAT I GOT WITH THE PURCHASE OF MY FIRST GL 1100 NEVER USED THEM NEW IN BOX. THE CARBS WERE ALMOST PERFECT. #4 WAS A LITTLE SLOW ON THE REV. MY QUESTION IS I HAVE ABOUT 5 INCH #S OF VACUUM, WHAT SHOULD THE READING BE? THIS CARB SYNCHRONIZER SET HAS THE 5 IN THE RED (LATE VALVE TIMING OR LEAK AT INTAKE). I RUN THE TEST WITH THE RPM'S AT 1000. THE GAUGE HAS NORMAL AT 18-22. JUST WANT TO SEE WHERE TO GO ONHERE, WHAT IS CAUSING THE LOW READING (OR WHAT SHOULD IT READ). THANX IN ADVANCE
81 GL1100I, 42K ROUGH IDLE, SOME SURGE ON DEC. WHEN UP SHIFTING
I don't link so good, but here is a carb sync guide that may help.

http://tiny.pl/6m4r

Chuck

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

According to the bible by mother honda you need to attach your gauges to the bike

Start the engine and adjust the idle speed to 950 rpm + or - 100 rpmbring the engine up to normal operating temp, put the trans in neutral and the motorcycle on the center stand. The #3 carb is the base carb. it is not adjustable adjust #'s 1 , 2, and 4 so that they are within 50 mm (2.0) inches Hg or less. If adjustment is needed loosen the lock nuts and turn the adjusting screws until all gauge readings are within specifications hold the adjusting screws and tighten the lock nuts. Recheck the synchronization and idle speed.

Gary

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

It won't matter if the readings are in the red zone, all that matters is that each gauge reads the same as the others. Trying to adjust all the carbs out of say the red area into the green will likely make the engine run like a dog. It's for that very reason that modern carb gauges with fluid in them don't bother with all those readings, they just get you to balance the carburettors without all the rubbish.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

GWNorman wrote:
It won't matter if the readings are in the red zone, all that matters is that each gauge reads the same as the others. Trying to adjust all the carbs out of say the red area into the green will likely make the engine run like a dog. It's for that very reason that modern carb gauges with fluid in them don't bother with all those readings, they just get you to balance the carburettors without all the rubbish.
Yes! Just set them all the same and don't fret over values...

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

They've got it right values don't matter jsut even numbers..BUT!!!!!! you should check all the gauges by putting them all on the same cylinder wheile running at the same RPM's. They all should be the same gauge to gauge if not note the difference and figure that into your settings. You can write any differences on the face of the gauges if needed so you can keep them straight, like +1 or -3.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
imported post

One cylinder has a huge time frame that it doesn't have any vacuum (airflow) at all. The gage is reading an average vacuum. On a multi cylinder engine that has only one vacuum port, you will read much higher to or even into the green. If you have an even figure on all cylinders , and all are in good internal shape, You're home free.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Agree. Readings all the same is what matters.

That's the way I set mine and don't really worry what the actual vaccum reading is.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanx for all the info. I did check all 4 of the gages before starting on one cyl all read the same. All 4 read 5 with in 1/8-1/4 inch pound, so I left it alone. Once again I enjoy this site.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.