Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just bought a 99 1500SE (my first Wing). I just received my full Honda Maintenance manual today (eBay, brand new:)) and am studying as fast as I can. However.

I don't understand the whole carb sync thing so I would appreciate a basic explanation (or point me in the right direction) and as the dealer mistakenly put Dunlops on it instead of the Michelin Pilot GT's I specified, I have to take it back in to swap out the tires. Thought I might have the pro's sync the carbs while it was there.

Anyone know how complicated a procedure it is or had it done (and how many pounds of flesh did you have to leave in payment)?:(

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

I made up a synch kit. I bought two vacuum gauges and used some pneumatic valves so I can connect everything up and switch from reading one carb to another. Also used some adjustable restrictors to stop the needles from jumping all around the place.

I have a GL1100, so only four carbs to worry about, but it was surprisingly easy and made a big difference to the performace of the bike.

The 1500 will be a bit more complicated due to 6 cylinders. It should be still doable.

Perhaps someone with more relevent experience will comment shortly.

Congratulations on your new wing. And welcome to the best wing forum on the net.

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
imported post

:waving:Welcome and Hello . Basically a carb synch adjust the 2 carbs in your case so that they have equal manifold vacuum . Its so the carb butterflies open in unision . Otherwise one side of the engine would be getting more fuel . I am not sure on the 1500 with 2 carbs how critical this is , but on the older 4 cylinders with 4 carbs its very important . Sorry I cant give you any idea of the pricing for this service . I would have to wonder though if the dealer cant install the tires you specify , not sure I would want him to make this adjustment . But thats just my feeling .

I wish you many happy miles on your new ride . :action: Please visit with us when you can . Lots of fine folks here . You will probly have more answeres soon .

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

OnaWingandaPrayer wrote:
:waving:Welcome and Hello . Basically a carb synch adjust the 2 carbs in your case so that they have equal manifold vacuum . Its so the carb butterflies open in unision . Otherwise one side of the engine would be getting more fuel .
Thanks very much! Even I can understand that:D

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
imported post

i would spend some time reading up on the process and if you have enough mechanical knowledge do it yourself, then you can really spend some time in getting it right. my local dealer wanted $75 per hour to sync them and the guy said he didnt know how long it would take, with there only being 2 carbs on the 1500's i presume it is much easier and quicker than my 1200 with 4 carbs, they say that it needs done every 8000 miles on the 1200's not sure about the 1500's though. there will be plenty of help on here if you ever need it, these guys have you covered!

Ali

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

The hardest part is getting everything setup to do the job. I did my 1100 yesterday and spent an hr getting everything ready, took 15 minutes to do the actual sync. The hardest part of mine was I had to actually remove the pair of custom case savers I have on the bike to get the front adapters in for the hoses.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thank you all for the links, opinions and advice!

Roger

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

My local motorcycle repair shop (not a dealer) with a mechanic who has 20 years working on wings quoted me $40 to sync the carbs.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

tybme wrote:
My local motorcycle repair shop (not a dealer) with a mechanic who has 20 years working on wings quoted me $40 to sync the carbs.
Good price!!

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
imported post

I just sync my 2000 1500se. I purchased a sync set from j&p cycle for about $45. I "believe" the manual says to check the sync every 16,000 miles. The manual lays it out pretty good. It takes longer getting in to set up the gauges than doing the check. If I remember right I only had to remove the front cover on the right side. The one with the marker light. The left was accessible by remove the two snap covers next to your leg. The vacuum hose that came with the kit wouldn't slide over the nipple on the left side after I removed the hose the manual stated (#6?), so I took a two inch piece of fuel hose with 1/4" ID slide it over the vacuum hose from the gauge then onto the nipple. Worked like a champ. The right side you remove the screw from the manifold and insert the short adapter that came in the kit. Connect the vacuum hose and follow the instruction in the manual. The kit comes with two small damper valves these are a MUST. Close the dampers until you have very little movement on the gauges. Between the shop manual you have and the instruction that comes with the kit its a breeze. The adjustment screw on the right carb is kinda hard to see, mine was behind a hose. You'll need a flat tip screwdriver about 10 inches long with a tip about 1/4 inch wide. Give it a try.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Some 1500s hold their carb sync well. In the past 50,000 miles or so my '93 has held very close in sync. I've checked it on three different occasions the most recent about six months ago and have never needed to adjust it.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

Saber cycle sells mercury manometers (carb sticks) about 60.00 and great how to tips.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

Be VERY careful dealing with Saber Cycle!

:shock: :X :shock:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

Just did the carbs on my uncle's 1500 last week. It took about 20 minutes to get them in proper sync. It took longer than it should have, but I had just finished rebuilding the carbs.
I took it for a spin after completing the sync and it wanted to pull the front tire off of the ground. My uncle rode it and said that it has never run better or had as much power.
When you get the carbs sync'd you not only feel it in the seat of your pants, but you also feel it in your wallet. The engine runs better which equates to better fuel economy. However, you will only see the increase in MPG if you can keep your wrist out of the throttle. :)

my $.02

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

WLR2 wrote:

getting ready to do carbs on my 90 GL 1500
what kind of mileage shall I expect?

what's the best place to buy parts on-line?

Just did the carbs on my uncle's 1500 last week. It took about 20 minutes to get them in proper sync. It took longer than it should have, but I had just finished rebuilding the carbs.
I took it for a spin after completing the sync and it wanted to pull the front tire off of the ground. My uncle rode it and said that it has never run better or had as much power.
When you get the carbs sync'd you not only feel it in the seat of your pants, but you also feel it in your wallet. The engine runs better which equates to better fuel economy. However, you will only see the increase in MPG if you can keep your wrist out of the throttle. :)

my $.02

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Hello-- Just getting ready to do the carbs. for the first time on my 1200 ( 4 Carbs ). Here's the gages a made ( thanks to Captmidnight post ) for under $10. Of course you only have to make 1 side.

Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

you can do 2 carbs by ear practically....with a very long screwdriver...prob no more than 1/4 turn either direction where its happy....ive dialed in 4 carbs by ear a few quickey times when i didnt have the tubes.....but only till i got em to get em perfect....shop might charge 1/2 hr for 1500 and will prob charge 1 hr for 4 carbs....or min shop fee

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.